Trail grooming

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Trail grooming

Post by Telerock » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:23 pm

It is that time of year when I clear our the brush along my favorite backwoods trails. In our area, that mostly means using longhandled loppers to cut out the beech whips. I try to cut down to the ground surface and not leave “pungie” sticks that would trip me up later. Also, I trim back branches as high as I can reach, which is usually enough unless there is more than 3-feet snow. Due to a beech-bark disease, older beeches are dying, and the young whip slpings spring up everywhere.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Trail grooming

Post by connyro » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:41 pm

Telerock wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:23 pm
It is that time of year when I clear our the brush along my favorite backwoods trails. In our area, that mostly means using longhandled loppers to cut out the beech whips. I try to cut down to the ground surface and not leave “pungie” sticks that would trip me up later. Also, I trim back branches as high as I can reach, which is usually enough unless there is more than 3-feet snow. Due to a beech-bark disease, older beeches are dying, and the young whip slpings spring up everywhere.
Lots of beech here (UP of Mi) dying back as well and tons of beech whips. Blowdowns are a big issue this season from a very intense May storm. Fall will be a challenge between trimming slopes, gathering firewood and evicting/cleaning up after mice at ski camp. Noticed a bit of color in the hills here and it got me thinking skiing.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:16 am

Hey Rock. Up on Teleknob on the Northwest side have kinda finished clipping and it is good. Short but very sweet. Couple of old long standing dead trees have come down but me thinks with some decent snow a real nice air ride for an oldie. North of the gap there is a really decent open hardwood zone. Short drops and always a runout makes for some easy fun and some decent mono tracks. Long distance up there on the ridges around the high wet zone where the animals keep watch. Still wild and remote. Some new people have discovered the area and Telewheels is taking a Big Mountain skier out there and she loves it. Just skiing and it is good! TM

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:13 am

connyro wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:41 pm
[Noticed a bit of color in the hills here and it got me thinking skiing.
Really? I once visited Mqt at the beginning of Nov and there were still leaves and color whereas by me they were all fallen at that point, which made me think that being on the big lake your leaves die later.

On a related grooming note, there's what was once an old single track trail where some logging was done 15 years ago and now very overgrown. When there's heavy wet snow the young hemlock trees all hang down into the path. Best course to just chainsaw all the branches I can reach which extend into my path?

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Post by JohnSKepler » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:55 pm

Telerock wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:23 pm
Last year we had 10+ feet of snow. There's just no way to prepare a trail for that. My head was often in branches a few feet above the bottom branches. It was awesome!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:11 pm

Trim them high and let them lie is my advice.
Hope to ski you all this winter

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:33 pm

A few summers now I’ve been working on a hillside in my area that burned in ‘20. Mostly used a folding trimming saw. It limited what I could cut. NOT Anymore!

IMG_0723.jpeg
IMG_3325.jpeg
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!