Long Distance XC race kit

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
blitzskier

Re: Long Distance XC race kit

Post by blitzskier » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:58 pm

spopepro wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:34 am

And remember to take enough food and keep eating!
what would be the best food for such an event?
would you aim for the highest carbohydrates food or something else?

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:09 am

Probably whatever you can tolerate.

Personally, I know from metabolic testing I burn around 700kcal per hour at aerobic threshold, with about half of those being carbs. I’m, uh, not so slim as to have to worry about burning through my fat stores, so ideally my target is 90g of carbohydrate per hour. Realistically, that’s tough to do. Also it feels good to have something resembling real food from time to time to keep my stomach happy. But ultimately I’m targeting around 8000-9000kcal per day for ultra events, most of it carbs in a mix of gels, oatmeal, couscous, and bread (for PB&J). But what people can tolerate varies substantially.

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:30 am

I'm no athlete, so i find it an interesting choice of foods for an athletetic event , what place did you finish at?

those foods sound very constipating. and not so energy dense. it almost like the body is burning lots of calories to digest the foods you ate , along side burning food calories for skiing.

i wonder if you could get better performance just ignoring the hunger pains and consume only honey, grapes or even raw sugar to mix into water ?

out of curiosity what where the other guys eating?

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:42 am

Oh I was *slow*, and only doing the 28mi on a lark. The gels I like (spring) are more like puréed food, rice, sweet potato, puréed apples, maple syrup. Yeah, there’s like no fiber, but that’s fine for race day. Really I’m trying to dial in my feeding for a 100km in April.

Hunger never really factors. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have to force themselves to eat at any 6+hr endurance events. It takes practice to work up to being able to consume enough calories.

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:06 am

who makes these "Gels" i would like to try it....

I always get a kick out of new athletes who scarf down a giant bowl of spaghetti the night before a race, and wonder why the guys are blowing past and leaving them in the dust, lets just plug up the digestive system and block acidic waste drainage to the bowels with spaghetti glue :lol: ..

I wish i got into sports more when i was younger, now i just shoot for improving my PB's and keeping up with my doggo on the xc trails

captainswallowtail

Post by captainswallowtail » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 pm

I'd recommend some kind of internal vest to store food / water on your chest.

Ditch the gloves. The only mitts I've found to like for this sort of thing are the liners for the OR altimitts. For overmitts look at the mountain equipment citadels.

Ditto on the shelter. Modern small pyramids are just as light as a bivy and far more practical.

Clothes - Consider ditching the base and fleece for Patagonia Cap air hooded. Far and and away the best moisture management layer for cold temps. Combine that with an airshed or some other highly breathable thin layer. Then active insulation of your choosing and a big down puff for when stopped.

Eat real food. I only like gels in warm-hot temps when the pace is high.

If you're actually going to use the stove consider an integrated system like Reactor and figure out your method of canister warming.