Backpack for longer tours?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lemon

Re: Backpack for longer tours?

Post by lemon » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:43 pm

I have had the cirque pack for 2 seasons and it is holding up very well. It "feels" bigger than 22l imo because it has a very intelligent design. The katana style carry I have used many times and for a small vest pack it Carrie's pretty well. My favorite ski pack for sure. You can not use the helmet stay and carry skis at the same time, kind of a bummer but not a deal breaker. Or if it can I'm just doing it wrong LOL.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:57 pm

I didn't have the 30, I had the 35. Liked everything about it, as suggested in my previous post; very comfortable, loads of pockets for organization, good access. It was bigger than I needed volume wise, the 30 would probably be perfect.

Fit wise, I'm 5'6" and 130, short torso length, and it was just a hair big on me; I had the adjustments about maxxed out. Not totally sure, but there may have been two back lengths available in that model at the time; mine would've been a large for sure. At 5'8" it'll probably fit you just fine.

The Ortovox line looks very similar to the Mammut.
Last edited by phoenix on Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:08 pm

I found a Ortovox Tour 32 + 7 ABS Pack a couple of years ago that I really like. I’ve been happy to discover the zippers to be more durable than I’d anticipated. Really like it’s expanding feature for bulkier items. I see them used on EBAY or in sports consignment stores on occasion.
IMG_7808.jpeg

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:12 pm

If you want an extremely light durable pack that is custom made check out Gavin’s work at Apocalypse Equipment. He is based in Jackson, Wyoming and made my pack. Has all the bells and whistles I need and still going strong after 3 years.

https://www.apocalypse-equipment.com/packs-1

jalp

Post by jalp » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:17 pm

I'm 5'6" and also prefer a short torso pack. I picked this one up a few years ago and I think it checks all of your boxes. It's the only pack that I've found that I'm happy with, been through a few... Although marketed as a women's pack, it's available in a nice gender neutral blue. I think the pack in this link is the newer, more updated version of mine. https://www.ortovox.com/us-en/shop/back ... -peak-42-s

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:32 am

I'm using Gregory's Targhee 32 and like it, but Ortobox is popular among friends of mine.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:40 am

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:18 pm

DEUTER GUIDE 35+ ALPINE BACK SYSTEM VARIFLEX HIKING CAMPING BACKPACK

NEW, JUST DIDN'T USE IT
IT JUST SITS IN THE CLOSET, 2 YEARS
MINE IS BLACK AND GRAY

ASKING $100.OO
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

bwm8142
Ski style: Trying not to fall down
Favorite Skis: Combat Nato

Post by bwm8142 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:31 am

If you want to get really pricey, Hyperlite Mountain Gear released the Headwall 55 in collaboration with Cody Townsend. I know in the backpacking community they are held in high regard for quality and overall durability. It is quite expensive though! I have a Granite Gear pack that I am fond of, as well as an Osprey pack. Both are great - the Granite Gear is very light for the capacity and has an impressive amount of features for the price. I am using the Granite Gear Blaze 60 for long days.

Waxagain

Post by Waxagain » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:35 pm

The lineup from USWE is top notch. I haven’t found anyone who makes a more detailed pack specific for long ski tours. I have the Brant 35L and love it. They also have smaller sizes but I got it to accommodate mandatory gear for long races.