Burnt Mtn Bindings ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Burnt Mtn Bindings ?

Post by 1EyedJack » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Has anybody on here ever skied the Burnt Mountain bindings? Lite Spike looks interesting.

http://burntmtn.com
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Re: Burnt Mtn Bindings ?

Post by CIMA » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Here are the samples of setup of the Lite SPIKE:

Unfortunately, the owner didn't leave any comments on the bindings.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

djspookman

Post by djspookman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:38 am

My cousin swears by the lite spikes, he's been on them for the past few years and loves them! He's a primarily resort, light-duty skiier.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:07 am

I owned 3 pairs of those.

I first got a pair of Telebulldogs (Before they were called 'Lite Spikes'...) But I was just starting the telemark thing so I thought I really needed cables with my old floppy leathers. (Nothing to do with cables, I later became wise enough to realize it was only a question of having the proper technique... bla bla bla there I go again... 8-) )

Then I bought a second pair of Spikes a few years ago. But no matter what I tried, I could not fit them with my leather boots. And the bindings were a bit too heavy for my taste. (Well, compared to a simple 3p toe bail...)

I bought a pair of Spike NT earlier this year. With both 75mm and NTN toe cups. I was not able to fit them with my TX Comps, I would have had to use the dremel on my NTN boots according to Burnt Mtn instructions. I was willing to give it a try but I had so many other things to do back then so I sold them...

I didn't have a very good experience with Burnt Mtn bindings. But that is just because I have very specific needs. I do think they're great bindings if you ski with plastic boots. Solid bindings, great engineering. And the step-in feature is really cool. But unfortunately, they're too heavy for real XCD with leathers. I also have to say that Louis, the owner is a really, really nice guy. Best customer service and support ever. In short, get a pair!

(I sold my Lite Spikes to a guy in Japan... Was it your friend CIMA? ; )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 am

I've been eyeballing the Spike 3-pin and also the Spike Blade to use on some Vector BCs/Excursions for XCD pursuits. Light, convenient, and simple. I like the idea of the free-pivot Blades, but a step-in 3-pin could be very nice for touring for turns and general fooling around.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:09 pm

I've been eyeballing the Spike 3-pin and also the Spike Blade to use on some Vector BCs/Excursions for XCD pursuits
You would LOVE them...! This is exactly what they were made for...

They're really fun when you get off your skis several times in the same tour... (Like I do... ; )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks, everybody, for the comments.
I find it hard to purchase gear without actually getting my grubby hands on them. But I may give them a go next season on some bigger skis than my Sbound 98's (which are fine with my Voille 3pins). Boots are Crispi T3, buckled loose and always in walk mode. Skiing is backcountry bushwacking, liking the solace.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

GEO

Post by GEO » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 am

fer sure. Love these.
Bulldogs and Bulldog lites. Good diverse part of the gear quiver.

Gottah love three pinning.