Telemark Lessons

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Teleman

Re: Telemark Lessons

Post by Teleman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:26 am

Tele is a Nordic turn.....Alan Bard said something like that a decade or so ago.....If our equipment is lighter....simpler....skinnier....we have to adjust ourselves to that....Heading down I have one ski elongated from the start then FEEL takes over....Starting to head right I feel there is not enough speed so stop all turning and let them drop into a higher speed....then....as speed is building...(how fast is in your make-up)...I little toe-big toe and let the ski do it's thing....This is kinda frightening to a new Telemarker....the skis DO NOT NEED TO BE FORCED, they will come around....Tip.....the more you have a need to force the turn the less the ski will flow.....and that flow is what you seek....often you do not finish the turn...you have already flattened out the ski for renewed speed...and are now shifting your back ski to the fore position....Doesn't need any kind of thrust....just bring the foot forward while building or maintaining speed....Little toe big toe and a big s turn riding the long ski....Skinnies become one long javelin....and....your on the ride of your life....TM

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:41 am

Good advice Tman, build speed and let the ski turn how it wants and don't force it. Not finishing your turns makes it a lot easier to turn and keep the flow going. If you find that you are going too fast(for you) and your skis aren't turning get a turnier or shorter ski.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:47 am

Right! Last year we had 13 weeks straight of bottomless over your waist powder.....Needed longer and or wider to GET GOING! The short ski swap e109's did not cut it....I think a 190 would have....The 109's ski like a much heavier solid ride em ski....But aren't!!!!! Been getting some of the best riding in years on 4 inches of crust and 6-10 inches of powder on top.....Have not done so many arcing s turns in years....They are fast, accelerate quickly....and they are SOLID so riding is an out and out pleasure....More length would give them a much easier kick and glide....Anything longer than that one might be better on an e99....Also it doesn't matter much what kind of leather boot we use....Lace up...buckles....it's about freedom....Half the time the buckles come undone...the laces stretch....all the better....More freedom....Tomorrow hope to get some pictures of Telemarkers doing their individual thing....Some hitting some air others laying down sweet lines....All with big grins....Fire, food, camaraderie....I'll cruise out to the spot on a big contour then head into some sweet bowls....Others will head straight up and meet out on the East face.....I'll have the long range lens on and see if anything shows up...TM

The Lovely Bear

Post by The Lovely Bear » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:51 pm

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:48 pm

My friend was nice enough to take some video on his phone of me skiing yesterday. Heavy gear at a lift served hill, but that's what I had access to for most of this season. Tips on technique are very welcome! I didn't realize I stuck my back leg so far back, for example...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:06 am

Awesome.

Excellent stuff man. I think you look great.

It is weird watching yourself perform isn't it?

But being able to watch yourself and others perform is an immensely valuable learning technique.

I haven't watched myself ski before- but I have been videoed performing at other sports and then critiqued it with my coach.

The ability for athletes to be able to watch videos of themselves, advanced performance as much, or more, than any advance in equipment.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:02 am

Looks good. Looks like progress.

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:49 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Awesome.

Excellent stuff man. I think you look great.

It is weird watching yourself perform isn't it?

But being able to watch yourself and others perform is an immensely valuable learning technique.

I haven't watched myself ski before- but I have been videoed performing at other sports and then critiqued it with my coach.

The ability for athletes to be able to watch videos of themselves, advanced performance as much, or more, than any advance in equipment.
It is great. having high speed cameras in our smartphones helps. Speaking of which, here are some of the best XC skiers in the world in slo mo:

There was a race tour and they happened to have an event right near where I live. I went to watch and shot some footage on my phone.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 am

My dial up won't let me see the video but if your elongated on skinny skis that's good....Wide and short is more of a downhill balance anyway....Elongated your probably fore aft so that's a real positive....It's THE feel!!!! TM

Rock_Doc

Post by Rock_Doc » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:02 am

montrealer wrote:Heavy gear at a lift served hill, but that's what I had access to for most of this season. Tips on technique are very welcome! I didn't realize I stuck my back leg so far back, for example...
looking good. not getting enough weight on the back ski continues to be the bane of my telemark existence.

cheers,
JT