Telemark Lessons

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Telemark Lessons

Post by montrealer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:00 pm

http://www.skilareserve.com/en/montagne/telemark

I've read "Cross Country Downhill" and farted around with my Eons in low angle trees, but I feel like this could be a good way to kick start my learning.

Any of the Québec people here have any experience with this? Thinking of trying it out this weekend.

montrealer

Re: Telemark Lessons

Post by montrealer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Also, any recommendation on exercises to train my muscles? Will it feel like I'm doing a continuous series of lunges? My leg muscles hurt just thinking about it... :?

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Salut Montrealer!

Bienvenue sur le forum. Some lessons might help you out to understand the basics but I strongly believe that telemark is something you have to learn by yourself. Apparently, a certain Johanne is giving really good courses at Le Massif.

I don't know if you've been to La Reserve before, it really worth the drive. I'm still trying to convince Johnny to come for a day trip but he declined all my offers so far :)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Montrealer,

In order to avoid obnoxiously repeating myself (I just left a long-winded post on the "backcountry lessons" thread) I will be brief! :oops:

If you really want to develop effective downhill technique/skills/habits for light Nordic equipment- I am not convinced that learning to telemark first on heavy, rigid equipment will help you.

IME- learning to telemark on heavy-duty equipment may develop habits that make it very difficult to develop downhill skills/habits on lighter equipment.

This is simply my experience though- and I may just be a weirdo! :ugeek:
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:27 pm

montrealer wrote:Also, any recommendation on exercises to train my muscles? Will it feel like I'm doing a continuous series of lunges? My leg muscles hurt just thinking about it... :?
lilcliffy wrote: If you really want to develop effective downhill technique/skills/habits for light Nordic equipment- I am not convinced that learning to telemark first on heavy, rigid equipment will help you.
I'll second lilcliffy's recommendation.
The lighter the gear gets, the less you feel pains in your legs.
Tele on heavy gear tends to force you to take a lunge position.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

montrealer

Post by montrealer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:40 pm

thanks for the tips. Though I still may be stubborn and defy them :lol:

To be clear, this was something I wanted to try to make resort skiing on small hills more of a challenge. And it seems like a fun way to spend an afternoon, to get out of my ski comfort zone...

Most of my nordic backcountry doesn't require (or even allow for) telemark turns, but hopefully I can get something out of attempting telemark on heavier gear.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:52 pm

montrealer wrote: Most of my nordic backcountry doesn't require (or even allow for) telemark turns, but hopefully I can get something out of attempting telemark on heavier gear.
I thought that too for like a year of touring around on BC Nordic skis... then I realized the telemark really is essential, or at least is immensely helpful in some areas. You don't need to being going fast or down anything steep to use it, but those conditions requires you can do it with confidence.

Good luck with your lessons!

montrealer

Post by montrealer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:22 pm

MikeK wrote:
I thought that too for like a year of touring around on BC Nordic skis... then I realized the telemark really is essential, or at least is immensely helpful in some areas. You don't need to being going fast or down anything steep to use it, but those conditions requires you can do it with confidence.
Makes sense, I guess once you have the technique down you find more places to use it.

I've thought about bringing my Eon/NNN-BC setup with me to a small resort to just practice, but I don't think they're permitted on the lifts. I could be wrong though.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:47 pm

montrealer wrote: I've thought about bringing my Eon/NNN-BC setup with me to a small resort to just practice, but I don't think they're permitted on the lifts. I could be wrong though.
You know I've wondered the same thing... I don't see how they would because you don't have a brake or a leash. It sucks because the Eon is the ski I'd want to use for skiing on groomed snow. I was going to buy a pair for my wife and put pins on them... might have to do that now so I can take them on a lift if I want.

Might not be a bad idea to invest in a set of pin bindings if that is the case. Either that or seek out a secluded sledding hill. I'm not quite as vigilant with that as I should be. A lift would definitely be easier when you are falling a lot and learning as it gets discouraging slogging back and forth only to fail!

montrealer

Post by montrealer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:29 am

Well, that was a *lot* of fun. :D Took a 1.5 hour lesson and then spent the rest of the day playing around. La reserve seems like a really fun mountain, but I found only the bottom half was suitable for learning how to turn, since it had low-angle, even pitches.

I was immediately struck by how much resistance the bindings (black diamond O2s) offered. I was able to (and when I got nervous reverted to) doing alpine turns very easily. Of course that's not the point...

Towards the end I was able to link a few turns and it felt great. Sort of like doing a twisty diagonal stride down the mountain. I bought some used gear the next day, and went to a small hill (mont saint sauveur) tonight and did it again. I definitely have a lot of work to do, but look forward to the learning curve.

I'll probably still spend most of my time on XC skis going through hilly trails, but this should be a fun activity when I get invited to go downhill skiing.

I also look forward to trying it out with NNN-BC boots + Eons. I already experienced the difference in going from the rental gear (stiff O2s) to the ones that came with the skis I bought, which are G3 Targas. Quite a bit less tension and it took a few runs to adjust. I'm sure this will be even more of a difference with NNN-BC.