Telemark ski lessons in New England

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
xcdnewb0313
Occupation: Stay at home dad who enjoys web development, skiing, angling, & trail-running - b.g. US Marine, exvangelic, & a mediocre vegan chef. Namaste ✌️

Telemark ski lessons in New England

Post by xcdnewb0313 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:38 pm

I would like to take some intro Telemark ski lessons this season. Does anyone know if lessons are offered at any resorts (downhill or nordic) or maybe from a telemark ski club? An added bonus would be if the lessons are offered in southern Vermont, western Massachusetts, or southern New Hampshire - but I would be willing to drive further if needed (coming from SE Connecticut)

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Telemark ski lessons in New England

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:38 am

I just did a quick search, and these popped up. There were more as well. I'd just search from nearest, to farthest and see what comes up near you. It looks like there are options and lessons would probably be worthwhile.

https://www.madriverglen.com/telemark/

https://www.picomountain.com/plan-your- ... rk-lessons

Speedfreak

Post by Speedfreak » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:38 pm

Bromley has a deep history with tele and is a great place to learn.

https://www.bromley.com/lessons/telemark/
https://www.bromley.com/blog/thehistoryoftelemark/

xcdnewb0313
Occupation: Stay at home dad who enjoys web development, skiing, angling, & trail-running - b.g. US Marine, exvangelic, & a mediocre vegan chef. Namaste ✌️

Post by xcdnewb0313 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:35 pm

@Montana St Alum Thank you for the suggestions. Do you have any experience with those places? I have taken ski lessons in the past and my main take away was "I paid for this?" 🤣

@Speedfreak What a cool looking resort, that place looks right up my alley. Thank YOU!

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:46 pm

xcdnewb0313 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:35 pm
@Montana St Alum Thank you for the suggestions. Do you have any experience with those places? I have taken ski lessons in the past and my main take away was "I paid for this?" 🤣

@Speedfreak What a cool looking resort, that place looks right up my alley. Thank YOU!
I was a bit surprised at how many places back east have lessons.
Very cool.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:33 am

be skeptical of tele lessons advertised on the internet . I once showed. up to Squaw Valley and asked about lessons....they did some checking and then were like "suuuuuure, Old Bob is on his way now......". well Old Bob rolled up and presented like a dude dropped from a Vt in the 70's time warp....he was all about big swoops turns while meditating....unfortunately I wanted help skiing bumps. so my advise: call well in advance, find out what kind of lesson they actually offer and on what days and times, and then compare what they say they offer to what you are looking for. of the resorts listed, my guess is that Mad River will have the most tele talent, but they may not have any snow. Bromley is an an old school family place and their teaching staff is probably small. Pico is related to Killington so expect to run into Corporate Mgmt as you try to find lessons...in contrast to say Mad River where the guy answering the ski school phone is likely an instructor and certainly knows all the instructors. from southern VT Mad River will be a PIA to get to.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:58 pm

Yeah, I never did the lessons thing just because it seemed too involved. I just went up to people who looked like they knew what they were doing and asked for tips. That seems to work pretty well, but I'm also like one of those old guys (don't be your parents) in the Geico commercial so I talk to everyone.

Baker
Ski style: Telemark
Favorite Skis: Gotama/Cochise
Favorite boots: T1
Occupation: Semi-professional race car driver and an amateur tattoo artist.

Post by Baker » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:59 pm

Berkshire East has some demo days and hosted World Telemark Day. They may have someone there on the staff that gives lessons.

All the best.

mvwmvw

Post by mvwmvw » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:25 am

Some great info above, but I'll add that there are lessons available through the mountain at Catamount, too. I know Mount Southington has a telemark night. I think it is Thursdays. One of the best Telemark shops in the USA is over in NE CT, just off 395, owned by the brothers Fey, Telemarkdown.com (Aspinock Woods). If you call Berkshire East, I know they have access to a few nordic instructors. I met one on the lift there when I was brand new and he gave me some great tips I think about a lot... big toe, little toe... lol.

I come up from Easton, CT and ski Berkshire East and other places when I get the chance. Only on tele boards all the time, unless it's deep then I might break out the snowboard. Might.

xcdnewb0313

Post by xcdnewb0313 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:12 am

Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice 8-)

I had not heard of Aspinock Woods, it is about 45 minutes north of me. I will definitely go check it out.