Question on Transnordic 66

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Yoop

Question on Transnordic 66

Post by Yoop » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:40 pm

Hello all, being new to this off track skiing was wondering when it came to the Transnordic 66 Easy Skin can you use kick wax and forgo the use of the skin? I'm coming from a track skiing background, classic and skate. Have the crown version coming this Friday in 205cm. I'm 178lbs and hopefully ordered right length? One site i looked at had 66 Easy skin labeled wax-free and the 82 Easy Skin wax-able. Probably misprint? Hoping to get out on back roads and trails here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Thanks for your time, Daniel

Mtlsam
Ski style: Trail touring
Favorite Skis: Fischer E99

Re: Question on Transnordic 66

Post by Mtlsam » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:30 am

Hi, I believe the crown designation means that ski has a fish-scale wax less base. There is a non-crown version that uses kick-wax.
The "easy skin" is an accessory short skin, that you can add for extra grip in "klister" type conditions or for more grip on step and continuous climbs.
Happy skiing

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:28 am

Yoop wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:40 pm
Hello all, being new to this off track skiing was wondering when it came to the Transnordic 66 Easy Skin can you use kick wax and forgo the use of the skin? I'm coming from a track skiing background, classic and skate. Have the crown version coming this Friday in 205cm. I'm 178lbs and hopefully ordered right length? One site i looked at had 66 Easy skin labeled wax-free and the 82 Easy Skin wax-able. Probably misprint? Hoping to get out on back roads and trails here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Thanks for your time, Daniel
It seems there are 4 versions of the TN66 out there right now. For the last few years you had the Easy Skin and the Crown versions. This was a couple year period that for whatever reason the skin attachment was not on the Crown version. A mistake in my opinion. This ski is available for only $200 right now, cheaper because of that missing skin attachment. This year we are back to the more wise arrangement with the skin attachment on both the crown and wax versions. The new skis are around $350.
I did just grab a pair of the crown only version because it was cheap and will be fine for my plans for the ski (I also have the Madshus Intelligrip kicker skin thing I could put on it).

Yoop

Post by Yoop » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info. Will be looking for a waxable ski in near future, guess i will be adding to the collection. Now if we could get a little snow to stay here I will be happy.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:58 pm

Yoop wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:22 pm
Thanks for the info. Will be looking for a waxable ski in near future, guess i will be adding to the collection. Now if we could get a little snow to stay here I will be happy.
Fischer stopped making most of their models in waxable i.e. non-fishscale/crown, so far as I know. Asnes is pretty much the only one focusing on such skis, that are available in USA anyway, and they have many models with subtle differences and nuances. The model you would want depends on what your trails are like, goals and objectives, etc. I am in Gogebic County by the way. Weather has been awful and extended forecast doesnt look any better. Maybe some smaller ponds will freeze soon so I can at least skate.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:56 pm

So I met someone with snowshoes one time. I'd never noticed my 66's had no easy skin attachment. I thought they all had them. Felt a bit silly, but it stayed stuck for a mile or two.

Yoop

Post by Yoop » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:04 pm

mca80 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:58 pm
Yoop wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:22 pm
Fischer stopped making most of their models in waxable i.e. non-fishscale/crown, so far as I know. Asnes is pretty much the only one focusing on such skis, that are available in USA anyway, and they have many models with subtle differences and nuances. The model you would want depends on what your trails are like, goals and objectives, etc. I am in Gogebic County by the way. Weather has been awful and extended forecast doesnt look any better. Maybe some smaller ponds will freeze soon so I can at least skate.
I'm over here in Marquette area close to the big lake. Had 2" on ground but going fast in this weather.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 am

Yoop wrote:
As already stated- in the Fischer BC-X line there are two (and now I guess three with the E89/TN59 skin) base classifications:
- "Tour"= smooth "wax" base
- "Crown" = "waxless" scale traction zone
- "Skin" = permanent embedded kicker skin

The Transnordic 66 (previously E99) is available in both "Tour" and "Crown"- this is the first model year that Fischer is FINALLY adding the superb Easy-Skin insert to the TN66 Crown. (The Easy-Skin insert has been available on the "Tour" (ie "wax") version for many years.)

There are however TN66 Crown skis currently for sale that do not have the Easy-Skin insert- both appear to be available, with and without the Easy-Skin insert. Some are clearly leftover models- but some sites are posting 2024 TN66 Crown skis without the Easy-Skin...

Clear as mud?

The 205 should be superb at your weight.
I'm a bit heavier and am on the 210.

Although taboo- you can use grip-kick wax on a scaled ski. I do.
Last edited by lilcliffy on Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:28 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 am
Yoop wrote:
As already stated- in the Fischer BC-X line there are two (and now I guess three with the E89/TN59 skin):
- "Tour"= smooth "wax" base
- "Crown" = "waxless" scale traction zone
- "Skin" = permanent kicker skin

The Transnordic 66 (previously E99) is available in both "Tour" and "Crown"- this is the first model year that Fischer is FINALLY adding the superb Easy-Skin insert to the TN66 Crown. (The Easy-Skin insert has been available on the "Tour" (ie "wax") version for many years.)

There are however TN66 Crown skis currently for sale that do not have the Easy-Skin insert- both appear to be available, with and without the Easy-Skin insert. Some are clearly leftover models- but some sites are posting 2024 TN66 Crown skis without the Easy-Skin...

Clear as mud?

The 205 should be superb at your weight.
I'm a bit heavier and am on the 210.

Although taboo- you can use grip-kick wax on a scaled ski. I do.
I've put blue kick wax on the tips and tails of my s-bound 98s on dry powder days in not so flat terrain. Kills the glide a bit, but better than leaving skins on all day. Are you putting kick wax directly on your scales?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:26 pm

JB TELE wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:28 am
I've put blue kick wax on the tips and tails of my s-bound 98s on dry powder days in not so flat terrain. Kills the glide a bit, but better than leaving skins on all day. Are you putting kick wax directly on your scales?
Yes- I do use grip/kick wax direclty on scales.
My late winter-early spring (April) skiing involves VERY cold nights (-20C and lower) with afternoons above freezing-
and there is often fresh snow overnight-
grip kick wax in the morning-
scales in the afternoon!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.