Strange XCD setups

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Strange XCD setups

Post by connyro » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:46 pm

So this site has started to become a good resource for XCD advice and equipment recommendations. We have everything from plastic boots and fat scaled skis all the way to double camber XC skis with light leather boots and system/NNN bindings. What about strange XCD setups that don't fall even within our broad spectrum of XCD setups that are represented on this site?

I saw one today that struck me as odd, at least for XCD endeavors: Alpina lite terrains (64 waist and scaled), 3-pin cable bindings with risers and Voile release kit, T4s, and full length skins. I don't believe this setup is ever skied in avalanche terrain.

I've also seen Asylums (115 under foot) with 3-pin bindings (no risers) and scales cut into the bases.

Anyone else seen some strange setups?

MikeK

Re: Strange XCD setups

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:01 pm

He wouldn't think so, but Johnny skiing with Alpina Alaska, pins and Guides is strange to me. It's a bit opposite of your example on the other extreme (I suppose worse would be vectors or the like with a soft XC boot like that!). I'm actually dumbfounded he can ski on groomed terrain with that - it's just beyond my comprehension of XCD!!! Well so is CIMA rockin' the BC70's on NNN down groomers...

I think I've said this before but my wife would ski Excusions on Glittertinds if I'd let her, she'd probably use a cable too if her binding would accept one! Another funny bit is she wouldn't even dream of going near avy terrain but she'd ski that setup in a groomed track on the flattest terrain and wouldn't give a flyin' flock...

In some sense all this weirdness is awesome. Those people don't care about rules or what works - they just ski and have fun. It's great!

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Agreed MikeK: just ski and have fun! I am curious about the extreme edges of what falls into XCD and why those seemingly strange setup are chosen. People do all sorts of wacky stuff like wear a backpack on a chairlift or attach ski passes to their jacket zipper so it slaps them in the face all day or put release plates on XC skis for example. It's all good and makes me curious.

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:22 pm

"I've also seen Asylums (115 under foot) with 3-pin bindings (no risers) and scales cut into the bases."

I have pins and risers on my Mitos and am borrowing a router to try to cut scales, but they're only 69 underfoot. I can see this though. And I'll probably go with release plates just because in the woods there are lot of things your ski can go under if you're not careful...weird is good!

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:45 pm

I've just finished mounting risers on my Glittertind with... Superloops! I love those... Very smooth to tour but solid when my heel is up in tele stance... Just received a pair of T3, almost new... I'll pair them with the Glitter... and I'll also use my Fuzion.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:13 pm

How about this:

[video][/video]
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 am

CIMA wrote:How about this:

[video][/video]

Yup, CIMA's guy wins for weird setup! But is that really a XCD setup? And will those bindings even last?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:24 am

Well I guess they are true XC bindings... that's gotta count for something right?

I'm still waiting to see NTN on a pair of 215 double camber XC race skis...

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:39 pm

MikeK wrote:Well I guess they are true XC bindings... that's gotta count for something right?
Yet, BUT! Does he use those skis to walk UP the hills he ski's down? That has to be part of the definition of XCD no?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Oh NO! Not this again!!! Call the Knights!