Where to mount the bindings?!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Snorbuse

Re: Where to mount the bindings?!

Post by Snorbuse » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:17 pm

It says riva 2 on the back of them. Thought that was aftermarket stuff since they used to be rentals and the risers said rottefella... Why do you have risers? Are there even people who ski without them? Never seen any tele skies without risers :O thanks for the help!
/Snorbuse

dschane

Post by dschane » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Risers allow you to put more pressure on the edges.

They're now effectively integrated into telemark bindings since I'm pretty certain most, if not all bindings (other than 3-pin) place the skier roughly 25 mm above the ski (e.g., Voile Switchbacks, 22 Designs Axl, G3 Enzo).

If you take to telemarking, you'll very likely want to upgrade bindings and boots. But, in my opinion, that set up is totally fine for learning.

Snorbuse

Post by Snorbuse » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:31 am

I'm already hooked on telemark after a few weeks of renting skies, I will most definitely upgrade boots and bindings soon:) But at the moment the budget won't allow it. That's why I'm using my dads old boots and bindings that are 7+ years old. But the boots fits better than anything I've tried so far. I'm going skiing saturday-friday and after that I have a month to prepare my thighs for another week. Any suggestions on good exercises?
Cheers

dschane

Post by dschane » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:35 pm

It's addictive, indeed.
Snorbuse wrote:Any suggestions on good exercises?
That is worthy of a new thread as you might get a variety of responses. The most common one I've seen is "leg blasters." Personally, I just hike, bike, run, and/or lift for my own amusement in the off-season and then just deal with thigh burn for the first few weeks of the ski season. I haven't found a way to avoid that and figure it's just an annual rite of passage (perhaps into older age too).

Snorbuse

Post by Snorbuse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:52 am

dschane wrote:It's addictive, indeed.
Snorbuse wrote:Any suggestions on good exercises?
That is worthy of a new thread as you might get a variety of responses. The most common one I've seen is "leg blasters." Personally, I just hike, bike, run, and/or lift for my own amusement in the off-season and then just deal with thigh burn for the first few weeks of the ski season. I haven't found a way to avoid that and figure it's just an annual rite of passage (perhaps into older age too).

I was thinking if starting a new thread... Deal with the burn the first few weeks? I'm lucky if I get 1-3 weeks of skiing in total. But I'm planning on staying a season or two somewhere in the alps in the near future :)

Kman

Post by Kman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 pm

mount your teleboot center (1/2 distance between pin holes and heel) 2 cm behind the standard alpine boot center mark.

!ski

Post by !ski » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:49 am

I skied Riva for a while - it can be done - but requires a good match of equipment and skills and technique.

I gave mine away to somebody ... they sent me $10.00 to cover the postage.

Look here or at http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourturn ... /forum.php for something else cheap.

I hand delivered hammerheads ...

I should get rid of some of my "spare stuff".

-r