Fake Fjalraven cotton anorak

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: Fake Fjalraven cotton anorak

Post by mca80 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:33 am

I have worn my Noronna once so far, just on a hike through relatively open space where winds of 30mph could hit me in roughly 20F temps. It blocked wind pretty darn well for being 75% cotton. It wasn't the most vigorous hike so I can't comment on how it performs when sweating. I got it basically as something to wear for downhill, but haven't had a chance for any of that. The fit is narrow, but most Norwegians are slender. I am short and broad shouldered and powerful torso, so the fit leaves something to be desired but isn't awful, it still works so long as I don't have too many layers. Heavy duty it is not, but I expect it to hold up well and perform its job for a long while to come.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:14 am

Thanks, that's helpful. I think I'd need a little more volume. Will wait to try something on I think

mca80

Post by mca80 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:05 pm

Lhartley wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:14 am
Thanks, that's helpful. I think I'd need a little more volume. Will wait to try something on I think
Yeah unless you are tall slender Nordic type physique you will wish for more volume. I do, anyway.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:42 pm

I really like my Noronna anorak, but it's not what I would call an arctic or extreme weather garment. Besides it being low volume, it's not long enough. For me, I need an anorak that that is roomy enough that I can wear my expedition weight parka under it and it should be long enough to cover my thighs. (knee length).

What I do like about it is that I don't look like I'm dressed for an arctic expedition in normal weather on a day trip. I also wear it for activities all year round and it doesn't look out of place.

It would work for extreme weather if I needed it to, but I have two others that are better for that. It does have a great hood and good pockets.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:18 pm

Thanks for input, I'm more likely to use a jacket like that for uses similar to you, as something I can also wear casually. I already have a system for skiing in extreme weather that works for me. I mostly want this for quick outtings around the nordic center without a pack and dressed fairly lightly but with enough wind resistance for descents, but breathable enough for touring. I normally just use a hooded windshirt, but putting a flask, wax kit, camera, GPS etc in side pockets is no good. Considering an anorak winshirt too but reckon putting weight in that kinda material is not gonna fly. My gf has used the fjallraven vardag for a couple outings now and I'm quite jealous. I think I'm heading towards that jackaet

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:11 am

You use case sounds like what the Noronna would be good for so far as I know. But the narrower fit is an issue. But if you're talking $200 vs $500 for a Fjallraven, no question.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:16 am

I have two cotton Anoraks. They are both the Norrona Svalbard model. They are both made of 100% organic cotton. They breathe great, they shed massive arctic winds (the tight weave is perfect), they cost about 150 bucks on sale. I don't like their new cotton/poly one- they made the blend because polyester costs less than cotton (more profits), I would never consider it. I bought my second cotton one because it has a longer zipper for better venting. I would never wax a cotton anorak, that is for Stockholmers! I am just back from skiing my annual two tours in Norway, Finland, and Sweden. I see almost no Fjallraven gear ever in the mountains there- except for poseurs congregating at the base of the lift serviced resorts and urban Swedes who are clueless in the wilds of their own country- it is not a technical brand- it is a fashion-brand like Bergans has become (North Face too) . Under pressure from the ruthless (half-starved) vegan lobby- Norrona is no longer selling the fur ruff for the anorak hood (a must in the arctic!). But there is a guy who sells them in Norway with the velcro cut to size and mounted on the ruff to perfectly fit the corresponding Norrona velcro strip. I use coyote fur as they have reached nuisance levels almost everywhere in their range. I carry a super-light gore tex shell that I VERY rarely use, sits in the bottom of the pulk. I love cotton, I hate skiing in gore-tex. My wife has the same model, On this trip we shared a DNT cabin with a retired Scottish IFMGA guide, he wore a full zip version of the same Norrona cotton anorak (71 years-old and pulling a pulk on a demanding 9 day solo mountain ski..and he was fast! Bravo!). Cotton don't kill!
DSC01474.jpg

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:33 am

randoskier wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:16 am
I have two cotton Anoraks. They are both the Norrona Svalbard model. They are both made of 100% organic cotton. They breathe great, they shed massive arctic winds (the tight weave is perfect), they cost about 150 bucks on sale. I don't like their new cotton/poly one- they made the blend because polyester costs less than cotton (more profits), I would never consider it. I bought my second cotton one because it has a longer zipper for better venting. I would never wax a cotton anorak, that is for Stockholmers! I am just back from skiing my annual two tours in Norway, Finland, and Sweden (reached 69.58 degrees N). I see almost no Fjallraven gear ever in the mountains there- except for poseurs congregating at the base of the lift serviced resorts and urban Swedes who are clueless in the wilds of their own country- it is not a technical brand- it is a fashion-brand like Bergans has become (North Face too) . Under pressure from the ruthless (half-starved) vegan lobby- Norrona is no longer selling the fur ruff for the anorak hood (a must in the arctic!). But there is a guy who sells them in Norway with the velcro cut to size and mounted on the ruff to perfectly fit the corresponding Norrona velcro strip. I use coyote fur as they have reached nuisance levels almost everywhere in their range. I carry a super-light gore tex shell that I VERY rarely use, sits in the bottom of the pulk. I love cotton, I hate skiing in gore-tex. My wife has the same model, On this trip we shared a DNT cabin with a retired Scottish IFMGA guide, he wore a full zip version of the same Norrona cotton anorak (71 years-old and pulling a pulk on a demanding 9 day solo mountain ski..and he was fast! Bravo!). Cotton don't kill!

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 am

@randoskier I'm not convinced that polycotton is cheaper than cotton to produce. I've used it quite extensively since being in the military (army fatigues were polycotton and subjected to a lot of abuse) and I find it more durable and quicker drying than pure cotton.
Of course, any synthetics will contribute to microplastics in the sea.
Regarding Fjallraven - many colleagues use it professionally in the mountains, especially the pants. We have work issued jackets from Arcteryx (Alfa SV) though.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:02 pm

CwmRaider wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 am
@randoskier I'm not convinced that polycotton is cheaper than cotton to produce. I've used it quite extensively since being in the military (army fatigues were polycotton and subjected to a lot of abuse) and I find it more durable and quicker drying than pure cotton.
Of course, any synthetics will contribute to microplastics in the sea.
Regarding Fjallraven - many colleagues use it professionally in the mountains, especially the pants. We have work issued jackets from Arcteryx (Alfa SV) though.
I am old enough to have been issued 100% cotton fatigues in USAF, my third year in we were allowed to buy the new no-iron poly fatigues but they were frowned upon in my career field where they wanted creased starched to death fatigues and bloused boots (I could stand up my shirts against a wall).

The military had a lot of problems with poly clothing and fleece in Iraq- it melts in IED explosions. causing catastrophic burns to the wearer. https://www.dvidshub.net/news/6012/popu ... rines-iraq
Hopefully you don't ski where there are IEDs set!

According to Ice Fabrics, a textile wholesaler- "Cotton is generally more expensive than polycotton. This is because it is a natural material. Polycotton, on the other hand, is more affordable and requires less care and maintenance."

I have no trouble drying my cotton Svalbard anorak- it does not get very wet even when it is snowing fairly hard, the wind generally dries it. The weave is very tight on Norrona pure cotton anoraks- the cotton is very similar to the Ventile the Swiss Cotton that the British Army used.

(About Ventile: Extra-long-staple (ELS) cotton fibres are used to form a low-twist yarn, which is then woven into a tight high-density textile to create a 100% cotton fabric, capable of providing an effective barrier against inclement weather. In wet weather the softly spun yarns - within the tight weave - dynamically expand to form an effective barrier against the elements).

I suspect the Norrona's cotton fabric is very similar if not the same as Ventile. I ski in a pair of Arcteryx ski-touring pants that were actually made in Canada, the last year they made them there- very durable and comfortable, might last forever.

Re: Fjallraven- North Face also makes a couple of technical pieces still, but like Fjallraven it is more of a fashion house now, I would wager that Fjallraven makes more money selling purses (that look like backpacks) to the ladies than tech gear- they seem to be a thing : )