New Intuition Liners for a T4

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

New Intuition Liners for a T4

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:31 pm

I picked up a pair of T4s recently second-hand. Really like them. The liners were meh so, I've been using the liners from my TXPro boots in them. I had them formed last year and they fit really well and do great in the T4. But the shaft is quite tall for the T4 which adds weight and reduces articulation. The TXPro uses an Intuition Speed Pro G liner which I haven't located on their website but I do have the liner and all the numbers so that should simplify the choices I would think.

Have any of you all put new Intuition liners in your T4? I plan on calling Intuition to discuss but wanted to see what others have done and what kind of liner you used. Somewhere along the way I recall seeing that Telemark skiers 'prefer' a wrap-liner to a tongue-liner. I've seen a picture of a wrap liner but have no idea if or why it would be preferable to a tongue-type liner.

Incidentally, that TXPro liner works great in my F1 also, but it is a bit taller than I'd like. Would be nice to get one new liner that fits both the F1 and the T4 (and my Veloce and Telesaurus) but, if push came to shove, I'd specialize on the T4 since the shaft height on the F1 is much closer to the TXPro. Maybe only an inch and a half lower, as opposed to about 5 inches with the T4. And I don't know that I'll use the Veloce or TeleSaurus much. I love the flex on that Garmont Veloce but it's pretty heavy.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: New Intuition Liners for a T4

Post by fisheater » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:39 pm

I have the Intuition Logan liner in my T-4. The stock liners (non Intuition) were more than adequate. One night on the road I made a dumphuque mistake. Now I have the Intuition Logan liners that I like much more.
The Logan’s take up slightly less volume in the shell, but for me having the shell a bit tight actually improved the fit.
YMMV

jtb

Post by jtb » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:19 pm

I use the Pro Tour in my F1's. It's taller than the Logan, so maybe a little tall for the T4, but shorter than the TXP liner.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:19 pm

FWIW, here is an email I got from Intuition (the links did not come through):
Below are all Medium Volume, lower height liner options.

Denali liners (website store link: Denali)
Logan liners (website store link: Logan)
Universal liners (website store link: Universal)
If you need a thicker High Volume liner you will have to go to a full height liner, which you could consider to cuff down if necessary.
Spot Heat/Shave Liners/Chop Top - Video (CHOP TOP).

In order to determine the right thickness of liner for you, start by checking your shell fit.

To do this, pull the existing liner out of your shell. Stand with your bare foot inside the bare shell, with toes touching the end of the toe box. Bend your knees and flex forward so that you can slide your finger(s)/pencil/ruler into the shell behind your heel. How much space is between your heel and the back of the shell?

1 finger or less (less than ½") = you have a small amount of room to fill = LOW VOLUME (LV)
1-2 fingers (½-1¼") = you have an average amount to fill = MEDIUM VOLUME (MV)
More than 2 fingers = you have a lot of room to fill = HIGH VOLUME (HV)

IMPORTANT *Check the fit before heating liners.

Try the liners in your boots (with foot beds if you plan to use them). If the liner creases at the heel or bunches in the forefoot, the liners are too big for the shell.

You want decent toe room (just touching or pushing a bit with the longer toes should be ok after molding with toe caps, but if they are scrunching up they are too short), fairly secure heel hold (1/2" or less when trying to lift), and a few mild pressure points before molding, as molding is compression, and thins the liners.

If the liners do not fit correctly, DO NOT MOLD them. As long as liners are unheated and unused, you can return them and try something else.

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns before deciding on new liners.

All the very best,
Crystal
Intuition Sports Inc.
O: 604-879-9231

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:51 pm

Reaching out directly to SCARPA:

Thank you so much for reaching out. Due to the global supply chain issues, we only carry stock replacement liners on our website. The high-volume stock liner that may work for the (Maestrale XT, RS, Maestrale, Gea, T4, Tx Comp/Pro, T2Eco, 4-Quattro) would be the Precision High Liner. It won’t be exactly what came with the boot, however.

If you are looking for a replacement that is closer to the original liner, we recommend ordering directly from Intuition Liners or reaching out to Sun Valley Ski Tools, Skimo Co, Cripple Creek, or Larry’s Bootfitting.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or if there is anything else we can do for you.

JuliA
Customer Service Representative
SCARPA North America
3550 Frontier Ave Unit E
Boulder, Colorado 80301 – (USA)
T. 303 998-2895 x106

Translation: It's more cost effective for us to just sell you a new T4.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

tnt2of4

Post by tnt2of4 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:27 pm

I am about to pull the trigger on getting a set of intuition liners for my excursions and noticed they have another (maybe new) liner for low cut tele boot called the MOUNTAINEER TONGUE DUAL DENSITY 12MM. I am interested if anyone has tried this liner out, or any thoughts on this vs the logan liner. Big differences seem to be Dual density vs High density (logan), and "internal J-bars for ankle support and heel hold" (MNT).

https://intuitionliners.com/product/mou ... ngue-12mm/

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:48 pm

I went with the Intuition Pro Tour Dual Density 12mm liner for my F1. As I was speaking to the rep on the phone he mentioned that people use the lower cuff liners for the T4. I'm really interested in how this works out for you!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:47 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:31 pm
. Somewhere along the way I recall seeing that Telemark skiers 'prefer' a wrap-liner to a tongue-liner. I've seen a picture of a wrap liner but have no idea if or why it would be preferable to a tongue-type liner.
I have such a hard time getting my foot into my T2's (stock liner) T4's(Logan) as is I don't if I could manage with wrap type. But with only two buckles the T4 might ski better with more shin padding to take up space.
The liners from my thrice molded 20yr old Synergy liners fit in my T4's good enough I might be able to get by by putting some of those stick ons that reduce heel lift.
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:26 am

I just received new Logan liners. They are softer and a little lower than the stock liners. They feel good and might give me a little more volume too. I haven't skied them yet so I hope they stay comfortable without any "hot" spots on my ankles like the originals were prone to. I was going to order the wrap style Universal liner to compare the two, but they were out of my size.

One thing to consider when ordering liners for Scarpa boots is that Scarpa sizing breaks on the half size and Intuition replacement liners break on the whole size. My stock liners are 28 but I ordered the replacement in a 27 since I don't need extra room in the length. I'm not sure how a 28 replacement liner would fit my 28 shell since it is made for a 28-28.5 shell. It could scrunch up the liner, but a quick call to Intuition customer service could set this straight.