Fischer S-Bound vs Madshus Panorama

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
André18
Favorite Skis: Voilé V6 BC

Re: Fischer S-Bound vs Madshus Panorama

Post by André18 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:04 am

IMG_0757.jpeg
That's right. It is the same loop as the Alaska. Bad move if you ask me. But, obviously I didn't know I disliked this system before I had to deal with it...

André18

Post by André18 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 am

@lilcliffy

SEPAQ's website mentions 435 total snow in 2024 at high elevation and 200cm in the valley. But they don't mention mm of rain! And we had plenty this winter... including last night.

Yesterday, it was forecasting snow at the end of the week. Now it's forecasting rain. Anyway, I can't do much about it. As the trails are shared with snowshooers in Monts-Valin, I fear they will be a bit sketchy if it's crusty and it doesn't snow.

In Ste-Rose, people are riding their skidoos directly on asphalt to get to the fjord and fish. Very strange and unusual.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:32 am

For what it’s worth, I have both Alaska 75 and BC. While I find the cloth eyelet takes some additional effort while lacing, the end result is satisfactory. I never really have said this boot would perform better, or be more comfortable if it didn’t have these cloth eyelets.
I wouldn’t vote for them if asked, but my Alaska do lace up securely with the cloth eyelets.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:01 pm

You beat me to it Bob!
Agree- I have had no issues with the lacing on the Alaska or the Skaget boot.
I do like the low locking cleat on the Skaget, so I have no personal experience as to the loss of it, and its replacement with the nylon lace loop...

I love the lacing system on the Alaska- both the original with the closed locking cleat and the current model with the open locking cleat.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:32 pm

André18 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 am
@lilcliffy

SEPAQ's website mentions 435 total snow in 2024 at high elevation and 200cm in the valley. But they don't mention mm of rain! And we had plenty this winter... including last night.

Yesterday, it was forecasting snow at the end of the week. Now it's forecasting rain. Anyway, I can't do much about it. As the trails are shared with snowshooers in Monts-Valin, I fear they will be a bit sketchy if it's crusty and it doesn't snow.
Let us know what is like up there...
Perhaps I need to make a road trip!
We have snow- possibly big snow coming tonight-tomorrow-
hoping to ski my butt off into the weekend-
colder weather and more snow in the forecast here for early next week as well...
Almost no snow in the forecast northwest of here in the mountains-
so, certainly no reason for me to head north and higher...
We still have a snow base in the woods- so I just need enough fresh on top...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:33 pm

@André18
Is your issue with the nylon loop on the new Skaget that you cannot get your heel properly seated in the boot?

André18

Post by André18 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:09 am

@lilcliffy

It's not that bad. I feel secure, but to lace it perfectly, I have to remove the lace from the eyelet to properly lock my foot. Than I put it back in the nylon eyelet and lace the ankle. That's why I feel like it's messy, but it might be me that is messing around too much! Anyway, when I'm all laced up I feel perfectly fine.

--

The forecast changed once again. It feels like we'll be lucky and have snow for this little trip. I'll let you know how it was! I hope this snow will stay afterwards so that I can have a week or two of spring skiing before it all melts!

_ski_ski

Post by _ski_ski » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm

I'd like to contribute another data point for anyone curious about Madshus M78. I have stiff Fischer BCX Transnordic boots (NNN BC). Make sure that you get harder red flexors (Rottefella). The stock black flexors makes it feel like an AT tech binding in uphill mode, it's just not right. Various activities I've done:

Going up a mixed blue/red run (Sweden) in a closed resort and then down. Absolutely joy when the snow is softer. My background is alpine carving so I do a very modest telemark, push the outer ski slightly forward, the inner a bit backwards and the ski turns like there's no tomorrow. When the snow is colder and harder, I switch to pure alpine turns. It's not super enjoyable but still doable with long skidded S turns. Climbing is also a bit difficult on such snow, so I suspect Fischer would be better. That said, I suspect Fischer would also drag more on downhills (I have waxless TN66 to compare).

Going up a mountain with slopes up to 20 degrees and then ski down. A bit difficult on harder uphill sections, had to zigzag or herringbone. Does not track straight on flatter hard sections. The grip and tracking is much better when there's a little bit of fluff, the issues disappear completely. Downhills on soft sections are again absolute joy. Downhills on icy sections are quite "adventurous" to no one's surprise, but doable for decent alpine skiers. Definitely avoid rocks or trees in such conditions.

Zipping around in a forest on a rolling terrain, the snow was deep but the crust on top held me completely. A narrower ski might not float in such conditions. I don't remember when I had this much fun the last time. I could do all skiing techniques in one session, classic, skate, alpine turns, modest carving and some telemark (but I'm a poor telemarker as I said).