New Super Tele's and full thickness soles?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

New Super Tele's and full thickness soles?

Post by phoenix » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:52 pm

I've been considering a pair of the Super Tele with cables to replace some Riva's I currently ski. I like the idea of them fitting my Alaska's, whereas the Riva's don't, and I'd want to be able to use my Excursions also.
As I recall, the plain 3 pin super tele's were pretty maxxed out with a full thickness tele boot sole; anyone care to bring me up to date with the current fitting on the current models?

Mattafix

Re: New Super Tele's and full thickness soles?

Post by Mattafix » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:52 am

Ski Marchs in EU44. I can close the bail to the middle position, too. If folks here use both, Ski Marchs and Alaskas, they could give you information about sole thickness. The ST with cables are an awesome binding!
B56B019F-798A-403B-8DBA-BFEBBDF59C76.jpeg
E9DB4BD4-40E7-40E1-8270-7E107A260FD2.jpeg

Mattafix

Post by Mattafix » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:55 am

Forgot to mention: These are my girlfriend’s bindings. She skis them with Excursions MP26.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:18 am

Phoenix, I ski ST’s with Ski March and Alaska. Both fit fine. I also own a T-4, I don’t ski that ski with a T-4.
I am willing to measure duckbills, or see if the T-4 fits. Just let me know what you need

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:26 am

"I am willing to measure duckbills, or see if the T-4 fits. Just let me know what you need"

Thanks for that! Knowing how your T4's fit would definitely clarify things for me, they're the same thickness as my Excursions, or close enough not to matter.
(I've never had a look at a Ski March, so I don't know how that compares)

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:41 am

I’ll try the T-4’s when I get home from work

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:23 am

Some duckbill measurements (rounded to the nearest millimetre):

Garmont Excursion: 19mm
Scarpa T4: 18mm
Fischer BCX675 (waterproof, i.e. last version): 18mm to 19mm (varies across the width)
Alico Ski March: 19mm (probably closer to 18mm, as stitching treated with sealant)

Note #1: Some variation should be taken into consideration, depending on where and when the boots were manufactured
Note #2: All of the above fit very snuggly on the first ratchet of both the Rottefella Super Telemark and the Rottefella 75mm with Cable (both bindings are new).

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:04 pm

Thanks Jurassien, that covers it. I suppose the toe piece hasn't changed much in the decade or so since I last had a pair of the 3 pins, I skied them with some Alico leathers with good thick Norwegian welted sole, and I recall (vaguely) the fit was as you describe... quite snug on the first click.

habib

Post by habib » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:49 am

My experience is a bit different.

I bought a pair of Rottefella 75 mm bindings with cables last season. They *barely* fit my Alico Ski March duckbills (19mm, measured with a caliper) and do NOT fit my Alico double boots (20 mm duckbill). When I write "barely", I mean that it is so tight that I fear breaking the rivets or bending the metal or damaging the boots. I tried it with the binding unmounted, and it was so tight that it dissuaded me from mounting the binding.

I bought them despite seeing on the Rottefella website that the binding is "best paired with the thinner soles between 12 and 15 mm". For my bindings, that is definitely true.

The fact that others do not have these problems leads me to believe that there may be two versions of the binding produced over the past decade, with this being a difference between the two.

My plan is to use the cables with Voilé bindings. I haven't tried it yet. If anyone can give me a good reason why I shouldn't, I'd appreciate their input.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:25 am

I am fairly confident the Voile hardwire would not fit in a Rotte Super Telemark toepiece, as the Rotte hardwire hook is flattened to a more precise fit into the toe piece.
I think the Rotte cable will fit the Voile toe piece.
I ski a Rotte Super Telemark with cable with my Alico Ski March and I don’t have any issues. If I mounted a ski ST, I wouldn’t want to pull the binding, if only having to attempt to reuse holes at my preferred mounting point. I would file a mm or 2 from the boot sole. There is a metal receiver in a Norwegian welted sole that receives the pins. You wouldn’t be structurally damaging the boots.
I said the above realizing you have had your Alico Doubles for many years. What I would do, certainly does not mean what you should do. It is a suggestion that would work.