How much does glide vary in a ski model?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: How much does glide vary in a ski model?

Post by lowangle al » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:32 am

I think you will feel the drag more on a no wax ski that is too short compared to a smooth base ski.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: How much does glide vary in a ski model?

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Totally agree man- waxless bases really can be a drag....

I much prefer a waxable base even for K&G touring on the flats. I will even grip wax the entire base if I need the extra grip. Even grip wax glides MUCH better than a waxless traction base.

I have been without a waxable-base backcountry ski for a few years...plan on fixing that for next season.

Klister will also outperform a waxless base on both wet snow, and old, hard, icy snow...

However- I do find that backcountry skis with a waxless bases have distinct advantages in highly variable temperature/snow conditions. Especially if you are skiing through the woods.

My good friend has been using klister the last couple of weeks- but has to stay out of the woods because forest debris (e.g. twigs, needles, moss, lichen, etc.) keeps getting stuck to the klister. (this is not a problem with hard grip waxes) No such problems with my waxless-based skis.

So as much as I always yearn for the optimum glide of smooth, waxable bases- I will always want waxless skis in my quiver- when it is just the most practical solution.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.