S-bound 98 and Nansen vs. Rabb 68

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: S-bound 98 and Nansen vs. Rabb 68

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:14 am

peterindc wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:53 pm
How do you think the S98 would stack up against my Ingstads for such rolling BC tours with turns? I saw what you wrote a few years ago about the Ingstad being much better for downhills than the 88s, but what about the S98s, are they a more even match?
Interesting question!
I am bit surprised by how the current S98 tracks in XC mode- despite its ample sidecut!
Theoretically the Ingstad should be a lot faster than the S98 in all contexts-
but, on hardpack snow the Ingstad has a very short glide zone for its length, due to its significant rocker-
On hardpack, I have no doubt that a 195 Ingstad does not have a longer glide zone than a 179 S98- in fact it might be shorter...
I find the Ingstad tedious whe XC skiing on hardpack- even at 205- I find I have to really focus on weighting my heel (ie riding the flat tail) during the glide phase, because there's so little of the shovel in contact with the snow...
I actually prefered the S98 in XC mode on hardpack- felt more balanced...
On soft snow- the Ingstad crushes the S98- MUCH faster- and feels rock stable- with a supportive shovel.

Yes- as far as the 88 v Ingstad- the 88 is a more straightforward traditional wide XC ski- it is a more versatile XC ski. The Ingstad is waay more fun on hills than the 88- and is a great XC ski in soft snow.

Again- dont know if I am helping you here...I think that the Ingstad and the S98 are very different skis...

What version of the Ingstad do you have- wax or waxless? AND- would you be happy with your Ingstad on this tour?
“Sierra cement” is deep, consolidated snow with a relatively high moisture content. It falls in warm storms that hit the Sierras and Pacific Northwest, so it doesn’t even start out dry and fluffy. It bakes eventually to corn but meanwhile is just a heavy moist snow that can be skied but makes you work. Short of mashed potatoes but definitely not powder, even when relatively fresh. You can get stuck in it and straight-line when you mean to be turning (sort of like breakable crust in that way, although this is homogenous snow). We may also get rain.
Right! That's kinda what I thought. I can see why one might need/want a very supportive boot on anything really steep!
So another question somewhat related: I see four count ‘em four Fischer skins I could buy for the S98s:
50 mm width Easy Skins (650 mm long)
65 mm width Easy Skins (650 mm long)
Long 45 mm width Easy Skins (930 mm long)
Full skins which they call Super Skins
The 50mm standard-length Easy-Skin is the most versatile- as it can be used on narrower skis (eg T78;TN66; TN58; etc).
If you are getting the S98- with the tip notch- get a "racing"-climbing skin that you can use with the notch.
I have a racing-climbing skin that I can use with my S98, Rabb and FTX.
Didn't know that they made a long Easy-Skin...Seems a strange idea for a kicker skin...
Uses I’d guess would include ice or rainy slop, as well as climbing those mid-angle slopes in slippery skin tracks. Did you get any skins for your S98s, and what are your thoughts about which skins to invest in?
Yes- well sounds like you will definitely need skins (I personally don't go anywhere without them- even starting out in ideal wax snow!). I already had skins for my S98- see above.
This is the climbing skin that I have for this ski in the 59mm (so that it works with my FTX):
https://skiuphill.ca/products/pomoca-ra ... B0QAvD_BwE
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 pm

@JB TELE
Don't know where your most recent post went...

To clarify-
I don't mean to give the impression that I think the S-Bound 98 is a great downhill ski on hardpack.
The S98 is clearly a cambered, wide, compact, curvy XC ski.
Much like the Karhu/Madshus XCD line (ie M62/68/78)- I would expect the S98 to bend and twist all over the place if it was really pushed hard on steep hard terrain.
My only point is that I think one would need a long Rabb 68 for it to be stable at speed on steep hard terrain- as it has a very short effective edge and a geometry that is clearly tuned for soft snow.
I think that the S98 is great on "firm" snow, but I am only using it on low-angle moderate terrain.
When the conditions here are great for full-on steep terrain- the snow is great- and I would definitely reach for my Rabb vs the S98.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:11 pm

Hey Cliffy, I accidentally posted my response in the wrong thread.
I got them out a few days ago but unfortunately everything had turned into breakable crust due to extreme wind. It was not skiable for me and I ended up descending on full length skins with kick turns. I did find some unbreakable crust and made a few turns. The ski has a lot more torsional rigidity than my s-bound 98 and feels solid. It reminds me of the K2 Shes Piste ski but lighter with a lot more rocker. My s-bound 98s turn easily on firm snow but it always feels like a rough ride trying to hold that edge.
I can see why you consider the Rabb a soft snow ski. They have a lot of nordic rocker to them. If the ski is great on soft snow but feels stable enough on firm snow, then it should be a good all around ski.
I'm trying to thin out my ski collection so that I have the option of living out of my truck. I need them to all fit under my bed frame. I can fit about 3.

It's interesting how different people can have different experiences with skis. My sbounds are a couple generations old. They are the black and green ones. Not sure if they have changed.

Salto

Post by Salto » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:28 pm

Jb tele - what binder and boot did you go with?

I am running my Rabb with voile cable straight to ski. It’s ok and allows my to go excursion in steeper and tough snow. Bummer is, I find my Alaskas a bit soft for it.

I picked up rei garage Alfa frees yesterday and considering a change….but when it’s right the excursions have been great on the Rabb.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:54 pm

I'm using the voile traverse bindings with old merrells that are a lot stiffer than the alaskas. My merrels are probably similar to the alfa frees.