New equipment advice/validation

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
dobermannski
Ski style: Alpine & Tele
Favorite Skis: Dobermann & Mantras

New equipment advice/validation

Post by dobermannski » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:51 am

Sold my tele setup last year (Scarpa T1s 75mm, Elan Himalayas 180cm & Voile Switchbacks). Sold mainly due to hassle/poor control at speed of 75mm bindings/mostly resort use.

Gonna take the $plunge back in and looking for advice on new gear. I am planning to get Scarpa NTN T1s, Volkl Mantras (180cm) and either Outlaws or Freedoms. I’m 56, 6’3” 215lb former racer and just advancing intermediate on teles. Looking mainly for stable east coast resort setup to mix it up a bit when not on alpine. Appreciate any suggestions or things to consider.

spopepro

Re: New equipment advice/validation

Post by spopepro » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:41 pm

If you’re looking for a T1 class NTN boot you might want to act fast. You probably want the TX comp and it’s about to be discontinued. Scarpa is introducing a new boot next fall and it will be the only NTN boot they sell. The jury is still out on the flex, but it is very likely to be touring oriented. Lift service shredders are buying out the end of the TX comp supplies as we speak.

Also in the works is a lift service only tele binding from 22, the bandit. It’s essentially and outlaw with no touring mechanism. I’d probably consider that (although I find the side to side control and rigidity of my BMF-3 bindings to be unmatched… but bishop premium prices turn many off).

I think those skis are short for your height, weight, and “control at speed”. I’d personally be looking more around 190 for you.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 pm

Between the Outlaw X and the Freedom, I'd go with the Outlaw X. The wings on either side of the toepiece on the Freedoms dig into the top of the toe of the boot. The Outlaw X doesn't have that problem.

dobermannski
Ski style: Alpine & Tele
Favorite Skis: Dobermann & Mantras

Post by dobermannski » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:04 am

Thanks both for the very good info. Anyone have experience with the Scott Voodoo NTN or Crispi Evo boot? Fit, performance etc.? My old T1's at 29.5 fit like a glove right out of box and not sure other brands are worth considering.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:50 am

dobermannski wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:04 am
Thanks both for the very good info. Anyone have experience with the Scott Voodoo NTN or Crispi Evo boot? Fit, performance etc.? My old T1's at 29.5 fit like a glove right out of box and not sure other brands are worth considering.
I've never skied the Voodoo and fit is personal, of course. I skied the Crispi Evos for a season and didn't care for them. Heel hold down was poor and the flex pattern on the sole was such that at 160 lbs., I wasn't able to press the ball of my rear foot onto the ski. It tended to stay straight so that my rear foot was up on its toe. I went back to the Tx Pro.