Leather care for Alico, Asolo, etc. telemark boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Leather care for Alico, Asolo, etc. telemark boots

Post by rongon » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:04 am

Hey, question for those of you who use leather telemark touring boots.

I have a pair of low cut Alico leather telemark boots with Norwegian welt soles. They're not very old, I got them pretty much new. But with just a couple years of light use and storage, the leather has been abraded in a couple of places. I'd like to make sure the leather stays intact for years to come, so I have a question about what leather care products people have used successfully on their old 75mm black leathers like Merrell Ultra, Alico Teletour, Asolo Extreme, Asolo Snowfield, and the like. How do you keep the creases in the leather from losing their black PU covering and polish? Saddle soap? Nikwax? Other? I'd hate to use SnoSeal; that seems to make the leather stiff. What do you all use?

wooley12

Re: Leather care for Alico, Asolo, etc. telemark boots

Post by wooley12 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:17 am

I've got some 50 yeaar old Merrells that have held up well with 50 years of treating with Sno Seal. I smear it on and use a hair dryer to warm it in. Asolo recommends a water-proofing impregnation spray these days.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:49 am

I use Huberds shoe grease on my old merrell ultras and Asolo snowfields. Both of these boots are not only decades old, they get used often. Leather still holding up good. I do try to avoid the abrasive snow of melt freeze cycles.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:28 am

I switched over to HydroBloc, but still use my left over SnoSeal on gloves and choppers.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1725

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:20 pm

I used Biwell (red tube version) for many many years on my Alicos and was very satisfied. I started using Montana Pitch Blend in recent years, only because the Biwell was getting harder to find.

In you present situation:
Clean the boots (just some water, or saddle soap if you want to be a bit fancier), including removing the laces and getting into the recesses in the tongue gusset. Allow the boots to fully dry, and seal the stitching on the sole... this is important! (I use Seam Grip, and highly recommend it.)
Get some black shoe polish, and go over the boots.
When that's dry, apply your conditioner/sealer. Reapply thru the season as necessary.

Your boots will be rejuvenated, and last a long time. Some possibly unwanted advice; consider looking at your technique, you don't want to be chewing up the inside of the boots with your edges too much if possible.