Stiff NTN resort boots ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ant01ne

Stiff NTN resort boots ?

Post by Ant01ne » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:34 pm

I've just made the move to NTN this winter.

Spent the last 7 years on T1 and really enjoyed the "attack ready" forward lean angle combined with the stifness of the boot.

Got a great bargain on some Evo Rando. However they feel more like randonnée boots than what I expected.

Should I go with the TX Pro ?
Tech inserts for Meidjos

Thanks

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Stiff NTN resort boots ?

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:20 pm

You could go stiffer with Tx Comps if you go with the Outlaw X (as an example). The boot is a bit stiffer. I think the Tx Pro is plenty though, and the Meidjo will be much closer to what you are used to.
The forward lean on both the Tx Pro and Comp can be adjusted for more or less forward lean.

I had a pair of Evos and got rid of them. For me, they had poor heel hold down and the flex put me up on my toes rather than on the ball of my foot when dropping a knee. My son has them and uses a wrap style liner (Intuition) and really likes it.

Ant01ne

Post by Ant01ne » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:03 am

Ok thanks!
Yes, that feeling of bellows letting me down on my toes. While T1's barely compressed under pressure.

I'll look out for those hard to find TX pros.

Size 29 anyone? Quebec province.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:59 am

You will likely get more/better feedback at https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... -bar-grill

I have many questions. Are the bellows too soft or are they uncomfortable/hurtful on you toes, or just different? Is the rest of the boot also too soft? Can you not get the shaft in as forward lean angle as you desire?

The Crispi bellows are quite different from Scarpa, but I have not used them myself. If you are using Meidjo, it is one of the softer NTN bindings, but the stiffer springs can help. I think the new 22designs Bandit or Rottefella Freeride or similar might also be more what you are after and could get you closer to where you want without changing the Evo Rando boot (if fit is okay). I think if you try the other forum with more specific questions, you will get better answers.
Last edited by telerat on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:02 am

Ant01ne wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:03 am
Ok thanks!
Yes, that feeling of bellows letting me down on my toes. While T1's barely compressed under pressure.

I'll look out for those hard to find TX pros.

Size 29 anyone? Quebec province.
There's pretty credible speculation that Scarpa will be coming out with a new boot to replace the Pro and Comp for next season. I think it includes bigger sizes.

Scarpa's U.S. site has the Pro in 29 and 29.5. I'd expect that to be available up north as well.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:09 am

telerat wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:59 am
You will likely get more/better feedback at https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... -bar-grill

I have many questions. Are the bellows too soft or are they uncomfortable/hurtful on you toes, or just different? Is the rest of the boot also too soft? Can you not get the shaft in as forward lean angle as you desire?

The Crispi bellows are quite different from Scarpa, but I have not used them myself. If you are using Meidjo, it is one of the softer NTN bindings, but the stiffer springs can help. I think the new 22designs Bandit or Rottefella Freeride or similar might also be more what you are after and could get you closer to where you want without changing the Evo Rando boot (if fit is okay). I think if you try the other forum with more specific questions, you will get better answers.
I'll add that the Freedom and Freeride both have "wings" at the toe that will dig into the upper sides of boot soles. They also tend to break off. That was just my experience, as I tend to crash uncontrollably into the sides of moguls. I found the Freedom had a pretty reliable release mechanism, if that's important and it has a more neutral flex compared to the very active Freeride. I have skied the Meidjo for years and it has a very "75mm" feel to the flex and the Outlaw X less so. I find the OX with the inner spring removed (so single spring) set to "2" is very close to the Meidjo with a stiff spring + an inner spring in initial activity level, with the OX bottoming out sooner in its range of motion.

Ant01ne

Post by Ant01ne » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 pm

telerat wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:59 am

These are interesting points ;) Yeah, bellows are crunching the top of my feet. Local shop have the Crispi WC in stock. Maybe matched with the stiff meidjo springs and I would find that similar "very supportive" feel I'm used to appreciate.

From what I saw on Scarpas videos, maybe the "power tour block" was already cranked to maximum lean on my T1 boot upon purchase and really got to like the feeling (even though burning the quads a lot).