Atomic RT86: Persevere or Explore a New Setup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DaveM
Ski style: A little bit of everything, but nothing very well
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 98
Favorite boots: Garmont Ener-G and Scarpa Maestrale RS
Occupation: Retired engineer now enjoying family, fun, and home projects

Atomic RT86: Persevere or Explore a New Setup?

Post by DaveM » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:15 pm

After decades of infrequent alpine, telemark and Nordic skiing, I am now retired and living in a place where I can focus on improving my skiing. I’m looking forward to learning from the many proficient skiers in this forum. This is my first post.

I am trying to figure out if, given my current situation, I should stick with my current tele setup or try a newer ski and binding.

Me: 65, 5’11 (180cm), 165 (75kg). I ski several days per week. I often start with an early skin to the top in my AT gear and then ski down and switch to tele gear for some hours of lift-served skiing. I am comfortable on tele on all the groomers. I’m attracted to telemark skiing moderate trees and bumps, but I struggle in those terrains, especially the bumps.

Skis: Telemark - Atomic RT86 (183) 129/86/115 R19, G3 Targa, and Garmont Ener-G, all purchased new in about 2009 and all in excellent condition. Alpine/AT - Armada Tracer 98 (180) 132/98/123 R18, Armada Shift, and Scarpa Maestrale RS, all new in 2021.

Last season: No tele skiing at all. While finishing next-to-last in a couple skimo races on the Armadas (I was in the “Heavy Metal” division), I realized that my skills on bumpy black diamond descents were terrible. I’ve made progress since then, but I still have work to do.

This season: After an excellent, two-day tele clinic I decided to go back to basics (lots of drills). It’s fun and I have seen some improvement; however, things still fall apart when I get in tough terrain. I get bounced all over the place when trying to tele in moderate moguls on my Atomics. It is ugly.

Impressions regarding skis: I like the Armadas. They are easy to turn, carve fine, and seem stable at my moderate speeds. They have some tip and tail rocker and are less stiff than the Atomics. Overall, they seem very user-friendly. The Atomics, on the other hand, feel user-belligerent - especially when I get off the groomers. I realize this is mostly because I’m not a great skier and that the situation may improve with time and effort on my part. They seem like high-speed carving machines. They have no rocker and are much stiffer than the Armadas, especially in the tail.

What to do? I don’t want to claim that the Atomics are the problem. However, I’m starting to think that I might be better off with a different tele setup. Maybe a modern all-mountain ski (like the Armadas?). New skis would trigger a binding upgrade and for that I’m wondering if the 22 Designs Axl might be a good choice.

Thanks for your time.
Skis.jpg

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Atomic RT86: Persevere or Explore a New Setup?

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:31 am

If you asked my wife, she'd say I always pick the most expensive option. If you ask me, I'd say I usually pick the most expensive option. I think you should pick the most expensive option.

I never cared for the RT-86. To me they had no character, they were just planks.
It's the skis!

The Axl with Ener-G's would be fine.
But it would be more expensive to get NTN with new boots, so that's what I would do.
I'm spoiled with step in (NTN) and ski brakes at this point.

If you want to optimize your prospects in the bumps, a slightly shorter ski would help. I'm a fan of rocker-camber-rocker designs generally, but I'm also currently skiing an M88 at 168cm which has a flatter tail and like them quite a bit.

When I first started tele in the bumps, it was on World Pistes, Syner-G's and G3 bindings. For a season, I was on 185cm Armada JJ (116 underfoot) on T2 Eco's and then on Tx (NTN), so lots of combo's work.

I'm 71, 5'9" tall and 162 pounds. For "bump day" I have a pair of 164cm Rustler 9's that I really like. Very versatile and at 92 underfoot, narrow enough to operate in bumps.

Up until this season, I've been getting in 70-80 days a season lift served and probably averaged about 5 or 6 bump runs per day. Even on powder days I usually go to a run that is bumped up.

DaveM
Ski style: A little bit of everything, but nothing very well
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 98
Favorite boots: Garmont Ener-G and Scarpa Maestrale RS
Occupation: Retired engineer now enjoying family, fun, and home projects

Post by DaveM » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:20 pm

Thanks very much for the good comments and recommendations. The Atomics will soon be gathering dust in the corner.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:32 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:31 am

I never cared for the RT-86. To me they had no character, they were just planks.
It's the skis!
But I remember that, in an interview, the late Steve Barnett himself liked the ski (RT86).

It is all a matter of personal preferences... but I am not saying that it is not important, on the contrary...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:40 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:32 am
Montana St Alum wrote:

It's the skis!
But I remember that, in an interview, the late Steve Barnett himself liked the ski (RT86).

It is all a matter of personal preferences... but I am not saying that it is not important, on the contrary...
Yep. It was their popularity at the time that had me interested. I think they may have been too stiff for me. My recollection is that I was coming off skiing the World Piste and Work Stinx skis.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:50 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:40 am
Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:32 am
Montana St Alum wrote:

It's the skis!

Yep. It was their popularity at the time that had me interested. I think they may have been too stiff for me. My recollection is that I was coming off skiing the World Piste and Work Stinx skis.
Makes sens...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:46 pm

The Atomics, on the other hand, feel user-belligerent - especially when I get off the groomers. I realize this is mostly because I’m not a great skier and that the situation may improve with time and effort on my part. They seem like high-speed carving machines. They have no rocker and are much stiffer than the Armadas, especially in the tail.
A friend of mine has those skis, very beat. He seems like he is fine with them. Strictly backcountry.

Your description sounds probably spot on though.

I tried Atomic tele skis many years ago and didn’t like the brittle feel of the no-wood construction.

Bumps are hard, even harder on tele. You may need to slide and a carver ski is tough to do this with.

Also, I’d say the G3 targa bindings are pretty loose flexing (neutral) so tougher to ski well on.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:15 pm

If you like a softer ski better with AT bindings, I definitely believe you need to get on a softer ski for Telemark. I can’t ski Telemark on my now ancient mid fat alpine skis, and I ripped some really challenging terrain on them with fixed heels. Telemark skiing is more two footed, your ski needs to bend with a little velocity, but only half your body weight. I would think you would want your Telemark ski to be a bit softer than your AT ski. I would suggest a softer Telemark ski 1rst, I have tried the Voile Transit TTS this season, I have been quite impressed with its performance. My “heavy binding” before this was a Voile 3-pin Hardwire, probably in the same league as the Targa. The upgrade has made a difference, however the biggest component is a ski you can bend with half your weight. That ski should be matched to where you want to ski. If you’re skiing at a resort, it’s nice to have a ski with some dampening, maybe some rubber foil, fiberglass. If you’re strictly at the resort maybe some metal. Just not too stiff! So maybe for now, no metal.
Ski on terrain that you can make some nice turns on. At least long enough to feel the good turns. Then go steeper and challenge yourself. I’m over sixty and definitely still challenge myself. I still fall down and go boom too.
In closing I think NTN might be great at the resort, or in the BC. The TTS I’m on is probably better in the BC than the ski hill, but it ski’s fantastic at the ski hill, perhaps durability would be an issue. Probably NTN and Outlaw would be better inbounds.
Good luck, and have fun!