Style

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lhartley

Re: Style

Post by Lhartley » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:47 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 pm
I would say A Tele, but I come from a PSIA Alpine background. Now I believe @lowangle al would say B Tele. Also I saw some nice tracks from @tkarhu made on Gamme’s with B Tele technique
I would still say A Tele ;) !
Tracks just don't do it for me. Post the video peeps!

I'm just genuinely interested in the best ways to get down the mountain in a way that's fun and looks good. And works I marginal conditions, because ffs we sure ain't getting lucky

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 pm

A tele, B tele, one thing for sure there is no consensus of what it is. It means different things to different people.

What I got out of his videos is to keep your skis weighted throughout the turn and skiing with both skis equally. This is something that I've been working towards for about 15 years, but I never thought of it as its' own thing. Since watching the videos I've been using it in all conditions and it really has been working for me, especially in crust and crud.

My style of B tele is based on the premise that a weighted ski is easier to control than an unweighted one. So eliminating the vertical motion and unneeded unweighting gives me more control because my skis are weighted more of the time.

The bottom line, whether I'm right or wrong is that what I'm doing has improved my skiing in poor conditions. I now have a specific game plan that gives me more control and more confidence then I had previously.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:31 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 pm
What I got out of his videos is to keep your skis weighted throughout the turn and skiing with both skis equally.
Agreed that this is actually the only thing that really matters. How to get this done is subtilely different depending on conditions, speed, ski flex, boot stiffness, binding activity, etc.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:31 pm

spopepro wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:31 pm
lowangle al wrote:
What I got out of his videos is to keep your skis weighted throughout the turn and skiing with both skis equally.
Agreed that this is actually the only thing that really matters. How to get this done is subtilely different depending on conditions, speed, ski flex, boot stiffness, binding activity, etc.
I also agree about weighting skis equally throughout the turn. At the same time, I will also admit sometimes I have more weight on the front ski, especially during initiation, and more weight on the rear ski as I finish a turn. That isn’t always, more so on big, fast, steep turns. Short, snappy, turns are more balanced.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:37 am

This pretty much covers my style…
IMG_8228.jpeg

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:14 pm

lowangle al wrote:
A tele, B tele, one thing for sure there is no consensus of what it is. It means different things to different people.

What I got out of his videos is to keep your skis weighted throughout the turn and skiing with both skis equally. This is something that I've been working towards for about 15 years, but I never thought of it as its' own thing. Since watching the videos I've been using it in all conditions and it really has been working for me, especially in crust and crud.

My style of B tele is based on the premise that a weighted ski is easier to control than an unweighted one. So eliminating the vertical motion and unneeded unweighting gives me more control because my skis are weighted more of the time.

The bottom line, whether I'm right or wrong is that what I'm doing has improved my skiing in poor conditions. I now have a specific game plan that gives me more control and more confidence then I had previously.
Definitely not calling anyone right or wrong!. I'm a novice freeheeler and have no right at judgement, that stuff belongs in that other forum. Just trying to decide what direction to take the learning process. I watch a LOT of b-tele vids from telehiro but his style of skiing is not really how I want to take my skiing. Aside from the video I posted in feedback I ski very marginal terrain with all sorts of hazards, obstacles, differing degrees of slopes etcetera, it's more like survival skiing a lot I guess. Feels like a-tele is what I would naturally be reverting to out of necessity. I need to stop buying gear and by a ski pass.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:57 pm

Lhartley wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:14 pm
I ski very marginal terrain with all sorts of hazards, obstacles, differing degrees of slopes etcetera, it's more like survival skiing a lot I guess. Feels like a-tele is what I would naturally be reverting to out of necessity. I need to stop buying gear and by a ski pass.
A lift ticket to get time on skis would help. It will eliminate "confounders" by narrowing what you need to do to be successful down to just a few things rather than the dozens of considerations you face skiing the terrain and conditions you currently ski.
K.I.S.S.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:03 pm

All over it. So apparently one of the resorts local to Calgary, Fortress Mountain, is potentially reopening. Hoping it will create a more competitive season ticket pricing environment. Now just need to do something about fuel prices. So hard to ski these days. Easy to to talk hard to ski

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:30 pm

lowangle al wrote:

What's everyone's definition of "poor conditions"? I went out later in the day today thinking things would be softened up on some east and North aspects of a nordic center i ski regularly. It had not and there was a 2 inch or so breakable crust on pretty much everything except for a few isolated shaded sections on the edge of my cut blocks. I'm not talking a-tele or b-tele, I'm talking survival skiing like I couldn't eeek out a stem tele turn. I was on 185 guides, I'm 6 foot. I don't know if id been on wider, shorter planks would have helped or, but I really don't recall having THIS much troubles on AT gear or maybe I did? I don't have this kind of problems in variable conditions pow or chunder. Pretty much just resorted to exploratory scouting for new slopes, very annoying since these areas of the foothills rarely have enough snow to ski. (I need a resort pass, it's not happening this year)

Forever humbled, novice telemarker Lucas

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

Lhartley wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:03 pm
All over it. So apparently one of the resorts local to Calgary, Fortress Mountain, is potentially reopening. Hoping it will create a more competitive season ticket pricing environment. Now just need to do something about fuel prices. So hard to ski these days. Easy to to talk hard to ski
Ha! You think ski resorts operate by free market principles?! My guess is their reopening _raises_ prices everywhere!