Canyons Conditions

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Karhuii

Canyons Conditions

Post by Karhuii » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Can anybody provide an unbiased snow report for Canyons? Should a Midwest skier, with limited funding and hoping for powder, commit to 4 days in early Feb.?

sheik Yerbouti

Re: Canyons Conditions

Post by sheik Yerbouti » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Going down hill quickly, next forecast of real snow is early February. The lower elevations will be rather manky for the rest of January higher up groomed crust. Enough coverage if their is new snow by the time you get to Utah. I skied backcountry close by Sunday and Tuesday this week, good skiing because we had had recent snow. It will all depend on when the next major storm arrives, if one does not roll by then conditions will be mediocre at best.

smax

Post by smax » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Anyone that can accurately predict what the snow will be like a couple weeks out could make millions in the ski industry. I skied Canyons today. I've seen worse years. It's a dry year o far, but decent to good skiing is pretty dependable in Utah in February.

Karhuii

Post by Karhuii » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks for the replies. I think since I've got free at-the -hill lodging, I'm going to pull the trigger and buy the flight tickets and hope for a storm or two and some powder while I'm there. From what I've read, it sounds like Canyons is big enough that you can find powder if you know where to look.

wayne

Post by wayne » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:09 am

I'm heading there on the 8th also. Here's hoping....

smax

Post by smax » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 pm

The past couple of days have been pretty decent. Fast groomers and you can get in the trees or hike above 8500' with decent snow. I'm there most days, drop a pm if you need a tour guide. It's a big place and I can point out some place to hike that won't kill you.

Karhuii

Post by Karhuii » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks smax - I'll pm you soon.

smax

Post by smax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 pm

Granted the forecast could be very wrong, but we're expecting 2-3 feet in the next few days.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/wxtabl ... interval=6

Karhuii

Post by Karhuii » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Will I be able to make it to the mountain in time to get enough (4) hours of skiing on Monday if I arrive at SLC at 9:30am?
I'd hate to be sitting on a shuttle stuck in a snowbank half-way up the road with a lift ticket waiting for me at the hill.

smax

Post by smax » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:13 am

Sorry, I was busy skiing. Yeah, you can easly get 4-5 hours in. But you should go to Alta instead.

http://www.utahstate.com/park-city-quick-start
"PLEASE NOTE: the Park City Quick start will NOT be offered for the 2013/2014 ski season. However we have a "Ski Free on Day of Arrival" alternative at Alta ski resort. Please call 800-754-4136 for details."