Switchback rods for a 27 shell?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Switchback rods for a 27 shell?

Post by phoenix » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:19 pm

Got my first set of Switchbacks last year, and have only skied 'em a half dozen times or so; finding they loosen up some and go off center (the heel throw) during the tour. Reset 'em, and it happens again.
I'm confident it's not a defect, stripped threads or such... so my question is for anyone who skis a 27 boot with SB's, what size rods are you using? That's right at the cutoff size between the short and standard's; I'm in the standards. TIA

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Switchback rods for a 27 shell?

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:53 pm

I think the long rods work with a 27, they're what I used on my 26.5 T2s.

I just read somewhere that to stop the tubes from loosening increase the preload. I have had that issue before, but it seems to have resolved itself.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:25 pm

Al, are you sure the rods on yours are longs? Voile site says standards fit 27-31. I talked to them this morning, and we thought the issue may be that the boot sole length is right at low end at 27. She suggested I measure the sole length from the heel to the pins, the cut off measurument being 305mm. I came up with just that, +/- 1mm.
Went out for a tour for a couple hours this afternoon to try them again, after setting up the tension again. Both bindings had loosened when I checked them after about an hour. And again an hour after that. I can get some short cables, but I'm a little hesitant since I would then be at or just above the upper end of their range, and that could bring it's own problems.
I'll probably call them again tomorrow and get their thoughts on it, they're always super helpful.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:42 am

Maybe they are standard' I thought there were just two sizes, short and long. They do fit from a 27 to a 31, like you said.

ShortyLittleSki

Post by ShortyLittleSki » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:28 pm

I exclusively tele on Switchbacks, aside from the nordic setup when conditions permit of course. Started with long rods on a 27.5MP T4 that were too long. Can confirm that short rods work well with the T4s though. Also have a 27MP T1 that the long rods were (sort of) skiable with, but the threads were maxed out and the cartridges weren't compressed properly. Had to get a set of standard length rods for them and they fit great. On a T2, I'd imagine you'd want a standard rod.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 am

I re-tensioned them one more time, and they're wicked tight; conditions are getting pretty funky around here but I hope to try them out at least once more, and get thhe issue figured out. Thanks for all the input, and I'll check back with results at some point.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 am

Hmmm. I haven’t had that problem. Try some loc-tite? The least sticky variety at first at least.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:36 am

"Try some loc-tite?"

Wouldn't work for this issue, for a few reasons. I have resorted to duct taping the cartridge to the cable on my old BD 03's, but I think the issue with the SB's is different. Looks like I should be able to give it one more try this week to see if it's a permanent thing or has settled down.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:24 am

I have two sets of Switchbacks, T2 and T4s. I have 27.5 boots but not sure what rod, probably just went with the recommended size. I haven’t had much problem with the rods loosening etc. but maybe readjust sometimes. The T4s I’ve been using very loose, more so than the recommended preload, actually minimal preload with the barrel thing not really protruding at all. So I don’t know why others would have a problem!

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:20 pm

I have had the loosening problem more than once, but it seemed to cure itself in a short time. Were the bindings new?