pine tar Q

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

pine tar Q

Post by corlay » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:51 am

for old woodie Birke Beiners…

if I prepped/pine tarred them 2 yrs ago, and only skiied them 2-3x soon afterward, and not since;

do I need to pine tar them again next year? (assuming we actually get some snow!) or is there some residual longevity there…

thanks!

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: pine tar Q

Post by phoenix » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:59 am

Probably not. Pine tar doesn't need to be re-done, if properly applied, until you see it's wearing off, as in the bare wood base starts to show. I you've got good coverage from your initial application, you should be good to go; not unusual to get a full season, or more.
This is assuming you used the thicker, paste like consistency (preferably), or at least a good quality liquid, and torched it in properly. Also being sure the entire base is waxed over it each outing; skiing in just the pine tar base will wear it off quickly.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:12 am

I agree with Phoenix that you should be OK.

I just want to add that I miss the days when a Nordic ski shop smelled like pine tar.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:26 pm

With 6 sets of woodies, my garage still smells like pinetar.just wish I could remember to disconnect the smoke alarm before I start.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:28 am

I've always enjoyed the smell, and the whole process. Satisfying to see some tired looking bases treated to a rich, dark finish.
Most shops I worked in would complain though, saying it smelled up the whole store. One went as far as not offering any more; said it got into the retail clothing. And that was working on a bench right under a big exhaust fan.

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:39 pm

thanks All!

I do like the process of prepping a woodie ski with pine tar,
but if i don't have to, and it does indeed "last",
then I will skip a year...