Sizing Fischer Traverse 78

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
tetonsskier

Sizing Fischer Traverse 78

Post by tetonsskier » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:42 pm

Hoping to get some help sizing the new Fischer 78's. The sizing chart on their site looks to be the wrong one as it's listing different lengths than they're now being sold in. I read all the old threads here on sizing and it looks like people recommend sizing up from Fischer's chart anyways. The sizing chart I found with the correct lengths says 145-195 for 179's which seems like a huge range. I actually already purchased a pair of 179's on a deep discount while this site was down the other night and then started reading all the threads and started getting scared it's the wrong size. I am 5'9", 160lb, 170/175 with gear. I'm in the Tetons so snow is light most of the winter but I do a decent amount of spring skiing on more icy/crusty/slushy snow as well. I also ski with my girlfriend who is 125lb, 135/140 with gear and 5'2". I am wondering if I can keep the 179's for her or they'd be too big, and if I should step up to the 189 or 199. With both have ski'd old thrift store skis for many years, and our goal with these skis is to be getting more glide so we can feel more like we're skiing instead of plodding along. Terrain is ungroomed forest service roads and off trail flats to gently rolling. We do mess around making turns on gentle hills now and then but we aren't that focused on that.

aclyon
Ski style: adapt or die

Re: Sizing Fischer Traverse 78

Post by aclyon » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:13 pm

i am 5'9" 165# and i ride the 186... in the new sizing i would go 189, i definitely wouldn't want them shorter, especially for your described application.
but that will probably be too long for your partner, unfortunately.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Re: Sizing Fischer Traverse 78

Post by Tom M » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 am