Thoughts on Mounting Position & Knee Pads

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Thoughts on Mounting Position & Knee Pads

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:00 pm

I know the two subjects are unrelated, but who knows it could be an interesting thread….or not!

Once upon a time, it was routine to mount bindings for Telemark behind center or the boot on the marked boot center mark on the ski. Pins on balance point is still the general rule for XC oriented skis, but for downhill oriented skis the thought is going strongly to boot center on the boot center mark.
It’s been a few years or more when I mounted some Asnes Tindan 86. I wanted these skis to kick and glide well, and to turn well. After much debate, I mounted then pins on balance point, which was about 3 cm behind boot center on boot center mark.
Quite a few guys mount back to prevent tip dive. In honesty, I mounted back to prevent sticking a tip. The difference being, with neutral bindings, and skiing aggressively, trying to stay centered on light skis, occasionally I could get tossed forward just a bit, and stick a tip. The result was going over the bars. The Tindan is a more solid than the light ski that liked to throw me over the bars.
Flash forward to this year, I mounted my first real piste oriented ski in 20 years with the Transit binding boot center on boot center mark. Rather than being concerned about tip dive being caused be a much more active binding, I find the active binding helps to stabilize me. Unlike a floppy setup, the boot binding interface is solid. I can mount more forward, and be quicker edge to edge.
My thought is that while some guys still mount back a few cm’s. The great majority are mounting boot center on the mark, and my thought is greater binding activity assists in a more forward mount.

The 2nd unrelated item is that I finally bought some knee pads. The first great thing about them is that they are so comfortable I forget I have them on. It doesn’t get better than that! They have a somewhat flexible hard shell in front. Then a foam pad. They stay up with Lycra with a sticky band that stays in place over my long johns. They appear to me that they will certainly offer a good deal of protection if my knees impact something hard and pointy. I didn’t start wearing them until January, so I can’t comment on long term durability. There are the SevenDip Sam Hill Knee Pad (who comes up with these names?)
Here’s a photo, they were available from the big box mail order shops here in the States:
IMG_6097.jpeg

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Thoughts on Mounting Position & Knee Pads

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:49 pm

There is some personal preference involved, of course.

I mount boot center over recommended mounting point, if there is one. Skis that are not specific to telemark, or alpine skis, are usually wide enough in the shovels that tip dive has never been a problem for me. The times I have mounted aft of that point I've found it slowed the responsiveness of skis. I bought a pair of skis this year (M Cross 88) and mounted them as I usually do with the Outlaw X (I had been on the Meidjo). I liked them there but decided to move them forward 1.5" as an experiment because that's the distance between screws on that binding and that made it simple. I found that I prefer that position, on these skis. Frankly, I was a bit surprised that difference wasn't more noticeable.

I always used to use knee pads when I skied backcountry due to the possibility of impacting rocks, branches, etc. Once I stopped doing that, I stopped using them. One nice thing though is that they did also keep my knees warm!

I think the general consensus for alpine type skis, is to mount boot center over recommended, at least as a starting point, on skis that are marked. Some are now marked with multiple points; "recommended" and +/- 1 cm or so. I think that if you want a more stable ski, back may help and if you like a more responsive ski, forward may help., but I wouldn't see that as a rule.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:44 am

I agree, there are no hard and fast rules. There are good starting points! I like Swiss cheese on a Rubin sandwich, not so much on my skis.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:48 am

fisheater wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:44 am
I agree, there are no hard and fast rules. There are good starting points! I like Swiss cheese on a Rubin sandwich, not so much on my skis.
Agreed, though after going from Meidjo to OX my skis look a bit Swiss-cheesy!