Boot recommendations for TTS-setup (Moonlight Pure tele)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
satanas

Re: Boot recommendations for TTS-setup (Moonlight Pure tele)

Post by satanas » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:50 am

FWIW I have both the F3 and (old) T2X. As far as I can tell the boots are pretty well identical apart from a few things:

1. The toes and binding fittings
2. The liners are very different with overlap liners in the old T2X and tongue liners in the F3. The latter fit (me) better with more toe room (same shell sizes), and there's easier forward flex than with the overlap liners. I'd say the cuff and lowers flex the same on the two boots, so any improvement in ROM is due to the liner and...
3. The plastic boot tongues are different and may be softer - or not

Note that ROM with the F3s is still crap when compared with something like an XC boot or any decent AT boot, and F3s are still heavy compared with AT. ROM is better than the stock T2X, which I eneed up using with modified Excursion tongues, but in no way is it good IMHO; YMMV.

reborntelemark
Ski style: Telemark

Post by reborntelemark » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:57 am

Thanks a lot @satanas!

I do believe the F3s could serve me well. The usage for this equipment is mainly summit trips without long flat transits (only up and down) and a couple of days in the resort. I'll use my Åsnes Falketind 62 Xplore with leather boots doing all other type of trips.

F3 seems light enough, got good ROM, more than enough stability downhill (making me able to get the most of my Dynastars) and provide me with the best value for money.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 am

I would not discard a used TX Pro, and I have a friend that have been happily touring on that for a long time. He will upgrade to the new version, but that is also because his old ones are worn out. A used TX Pro is much easier to come by than F3 and you can even get to try a new one on in a shop for sizing, so look for both and get whichever you find.

There are a pair on like new F3s in size 28.5 at finn.no, as well as a pair of old TX also in the same size. Good luck.

reborntelemark
Ski style: Telemark

Post by reborntelemark » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:08 pm

Found a pair of unused F3 and now my gear is complete!! Looking forward to test these next week!
PXL_20240428_194112923.jpg
PXL_20240428_193852954.jpg

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Very nice! I wouldn’t mind finding another new old stock F-1. Those F-3 should be sweet!