What to think of Alpina crew?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

What to think of Alpina crew?

Post by Rodbelan » Sun May 05, 2024 6:47 am

Look at that; it says it all...
Capture d’écran, le 2024-05-05 à 06.45.35.png
And the question was asked on march the 7th... received the «answer» yesterday. It is as if they think we are stupid...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: What to think of Alpina crew?

Post by phoenix » Mon May 06, 2024 8:06 pm

I must say, that's a shockingly lame response from Alpina. Is there no way to talk to a "customer service" person? (My apologies if that's already been addressed in previous Alpina posts)

lemon

Post by lemon » Tue May 07, 2024 4:29 pm

What a shit reply.

I've had a pair since 2017. Still in great shape. Make lots of turns in them. They were my work boot for a season too, I worked in the backcountry. I've seen so many broken ones but never happened to me before.

I have a theory, that it comes from making tippy toe turns. Or maybe getting super low. I tend to ski lower on ntn than I do on xcd. Not sure why but I tend to stay more upright, really driving with the ball of foot instead of the boot cuff. Alaska has 0 cuff power. I'm also make pretty trashy turns. I had my 125th day on skis this season at Tuckerman ravine!

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed May 08, 2024 8:10 am

A lousy answer. Anyone can make errors, but customer support should be more helpful. It seems Alpina Alaska boots can fail on all models, with the 75mm version having your failure as well as boot splitting open on the front like this:
I have done similar many years ago on Norwegian welt boot in a crash, and have also seen sole breakage similar to what you describe on such boots. Those soles seems easier to repair though, if proper shoe repair shops are still available. I did however not like the water ingress such boots can have, so I thought the molded rubber soles was a better solution, but failures and less torsional rigidity have me reconsidering that though.

As to prevent the sole breaking that Rodbelan experienced, I would consider using Rottefella Super Telemark or the new Voile 201 instead of Voile HD Mountaineer/3-Pin Cable, as the former clamp the thin duckbills better. Se also Voile's video on the binding (as well as on Xplore):

I would not consider such a wide ski with such boots anyway, both for performance and risk of boot breakage. A higher stance and proper weighing of the rear ski could probably also reduce the likelihood of sole breakage. As for the boot splitting open, I would consider using the Voile Traverse riser plates to have a ramp angle. It also reduces the rocker launch feeling, but will work opposite to the former problem.

I did like the Alaska 75 boot and I considered it to replace my old leather boots, but found it did not fit my feet well. My wife used a pair of Alaska 75 for two years, before her foot increased one size and it became too small. I also tried the Rottefella 75mm with cable binding with my old Asolo Morgedal and felt it was not a great match with boots that are low and/or have a soft sole. We have thus gone for Xplore and Alfa Skaget and are very happy so far. Easy entry and exit, great kick and glide performance, no noise or play, as well as better hiking comfort has us convinced. The Xplore boots were also significantly lighter than Alaska 75 with the steel reinforcement plate for the 3-pin holes. My wife's current Alfa Skaget weighs in at 625 grams, a pair of Alaska XPs she tried was 650 grams, while her old and smaller Alaska 75 weighs 890 grams per boot.

It seems Xplore is not without failures though and long term durability remains to be seen. The early pin issues are hopefully solved, but a grease kit has been released so maintenance may be needed. The last Xplore/Alaska failures I heard about was the sole loosening from the upper, which was a production issue and should be resolved now:
The shop here in Norway exchanged Alaska XPs with the same issues, but we have good laws protecting the consumers. I do not know how the distributor or Alpina reacted, but a large chain/shop has more leverage than a single consumer.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu May 16, 2024 7:10 am

phoenix wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:06 pm
I must say, that's a shockingly lame response from Alpina. Is there no way to talk to a "customer service" person? (My apologies if that's already been addressed in previous Alpina posts)
The answer comes from Europe headquarter (they are the ones who plan the production)... The distributor, here in Montreal, is very, very supportive and serious... They are willing to give me a new pair, even if I bought mine from a closed bankrupt store... But they can't answer my question...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

aclyon
Ski style: adapt or die

Post by aclyon » Thu May 16, 2024 12:44 pm

Spent months working with my girlfriend to put together a good BCXC set up for her, which included trying on a ton of different boots and special ordering Alaskas from the only store in town that carries Alpina gear (but not Alaskas!). We got her a pair in NNN-BC.

The sole became halfway unglued (like pics above) after TWO... 2... two uses. We drove all the way to the other side of the lake last week to ski at Chickadee Ridge only to discover her boots were not skiable. It is honestly so frustrating.

Obviously we are going to return them, but now she has no boots again, and those were the ones that fit her the best by far. After this experience plus what I see in this thread plus all the other threads complaining about Alpina gear falling apart, I am no longer going to support them. How can their QC be this bad?!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu May 16, 2024 8:19 pm

That is the first sole delamination of an Alaska BC, that I can recall of being posted here. Not that it makes your experience any less disappointing. I have a lot of miles on my Alaska BC and more than a few years. I expect many more miles and years. Which is why it will be years before I see myself trying the Xplore system.
I’m a big fan of Alaska boots. They fit me as if they were custom made for me with a thin ski sock. I haven’t even swapped out the stock foot bed. I also am fortunate to have a few years (pre-pandemic) and a moderate amount of miles on my Alaska 75. I know my experience with the 75 may be an anomaly, but it doesn’t make me any less pleased with these boots.
Hopefully your dealer can handle the warranty, and your girlfriend will enjoy her new Alaska BC for many years. It really is a nice boot.