Critters

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: I Need New Pants....

Post by lowangle al » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Lynx tracks are pretty big.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:40 am

The cat tracks that were very big were four inches across....Think Lynx and Catamount are about the same....Followed some one time to a cave....Blood and could see where the cat had been on a branch overlooking the leggy gully.....Have been in Coyote country where the first person looked ahead and the second behind....it's great being in the Gonz....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:18 am

Wow! 4 inches? Are Lynx that big?

Pretty sure the Catamount/Cougars are a myth:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/ecougar/ne ... final.html

I could pull up multiple sources that show they aren't around here anymore. Anything that's been shown as 'proof' has been dismissed as a hoax or inconclusive.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:50 am

Four inches for a lynx sounds about right, we followed some european ones for several days in 2014:
Bobcat.jpg
We also hanged out with some Wolverines! Here are their trails:
wolverine.jpg
wolverine 2.jpg
Last edited by bgregoire on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:02 am

http://www.wildthingsultd.org/publicati ... ion-guide/

According to this Lynx are in that range (3-4"), Bobcats tend to be smaller (2-3"), as I had remembered from looking up the ones I saw.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Critters

Post by connyro » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Up here in the UGL's, we have cougars, lynx, bobcats. In fact, some asshole from Wisconsin came up here and shot one for fun and managed to get busted and convicted. The DNR denied that cougars were in this region, even with dozens of gamecam shots that said otherwise, until they admitted their presence recently. We get moose on our property. We sometimes see prints (mom and baby sometimes!) in the soft soil and we see their trenches/postholes they make in the deep snow with their bellies. Wolf tracks are all over the place around here, as well as coyote prints. Found a bloody porcupine skin fragment with quills still attached to it. Assumed it was the fisher I saw a few months ago. We also see river otter and pine martins on a gamecam. I left a plastic container of Kerosene on the porch of my cabin and came back a week later and a bear had bitten into it and spilled it all over the place.

MikeK

Re: Critters

Post by MikeK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Maybe we really do have eastern cougars still? Doubt it though. We don't have wolves either. UGL is much wilder than it is down here in the big city ;)

Fisher was the coolest critter I've ever seen. I wish I had a camera, although I doubt I would have been quick enough. He was bounding along up toward me and my old dog... didn't even notice us. The dog didn't even bark at him. He got within about 30 yds, saw us, and he just bounded off in another direction. Dude didn't have a care in the world.