Older T1 collapsing onto top of arch

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Todd Zander

Older T1 collapsing onto top of arch

Post by Todd Zander » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:48 pm

I started skiing a pair of new in box older 3 buckle black and red T1's in 2008, and up until the end of last season fit absolutely great.

Do 75mm boots tend to flatten out above the arch/balls of feet after significant use? I'm losing feeling within hours and it's not cold related.

Is it worth my time heating them up and compressing the sides of the ball area so as to regain some of the original shape and hopefully alleviate the pain, or just bring them to a shop?

!ski

Re: Older T1 collapsing onto top of arch

Post by !ski » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Skiing them in the same bindings setup the same way?

Different bindings can cause the boot to flex differently.

Another possibility is that the bindings are running out of range as the boot develop more
and more rocker and the boots are starting to collapse.

Lots of other possibilities too.

-r

Todd Zander

Post by Todd Zander » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:50 pm

between the g3's with wedge and stiff springs, axls on 2, and 01's with regular springs it doesnt matter, and even just sitting on the couch with them on the pressure point is pretty intense. I measured the top of my instep in at 4 inches, so i think ill have a boot fitter jack them up.

!ski

Post by !ski » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:46 am

How were they stored over the summer? Could be the liners need a new fitting.

Could be diabetic nerve pain. Or a bit of arthritis - could be something up with your feet ... gain weight?

Next summer I am going to store my boots in a different closet - dawned on me the one I used last
summer is on an outside wall and likely gets warmish.

But then my boots always feel tight at the beginning of a new season - which is a good thing.

As the old saying goes ... loose shoes, a tight ... I mean tight boots, strong springs, and hero snow ...

-r

!ski

Post by !ski » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:30 pm

I was pondering this in the car this morning ...

I can only wear my current boots with the current socks (extra thin ski racing socks.)

I get "ski socks" as presents, always "medium weight", I wear them as just socks, no way I could
even force my feet into the boots or actually ski in them - would destroy my feet.

Change socks?

-r

Todd Zander

Post by Todd Zander » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:09 am

Nothing to do with weight gain, the sugar nerve pain, or socks.

After some minor modification so the shell, i decided my tall arches/ instep needed some support to prevent it from collapsing which might have lead to "instep bang".

After that followed by a remold( 3rd) it seemed to have done the trick, real test will be first chair tomorrow morning at ~10 F