Any interest in a ski 'fest'?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Any interest in a ski 'fest'?

Post by MikeK » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:19 am

Don't know what to call it other than a get together of some sort. The idea was tossed around last year, and maybe we'll give it a shot... nothing serious... just a few people getting together to do some skiing, most likely away from a resort or area.

So... question has been... where?

Most of us that I know of are in the east except Rokjox, and well I don't expect him to make the drive... but hey, you can if you want!

I've been advocating High Peaks Wilderness in the Adirondacks. Vast array of tours and steeps of all different levels along with some birch glade skiing. Snow can be hit or miss - could be awesome up high, and shit in valleys, or avalanche risk up high and perfect down low... I don't go here often, but seen as how I'm pretty far west and south compared to NE and QC persons, it's less a drive for me. Whiteface and van Hoevenberg/Cascade are close by if you want to spend a day at a xc ski center or dh resort.

The other area is Siamese Ponds/Gore Mtn area in the Adirondacks. It's a bit farther south. It's way quieter. Mtns are smaller. Snow is less reliable than High Peaks but when it's on, it's spectacular. Gore and Garnet Hill are available for dh or xc resort skiing.

I don't know jack about VT or QC, so I'm open to options there. I'd like to bring my wife, and she's not going to ski anything too difficult, and I won't ski any big steeps, so keeping something that would appeal to a wide variety and level of skiers would be ideal.

Make a suggestion! We'll put it on a list and make a vote. If it looks like more than 3 people are going to go, then we'll give it a shot.

Bri7

Re: Any interest in a ski 'fest'?

Post by Bri7 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm up for anything and anywhere. I prefer to travel down south since you have mouth cancer in a can (read chewing tobacco) at every convinience store (its almost banned here in Canada).

RASTA seems to have an interesting project going on in the Braintree forest south Vermont.

I never skied anything (bc) other than mount washington, lyon mountain and east richford slide in the USA so pick the place and I will be there!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:14 am

We can't get real poutine down south, so I'm OK with heading north!

I had two different frite sauce here in NY since my visit to Quebec, and none were right. Sauce was thick, cheese was gooey, fries were crispy. I really am hungry for some real poutine!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:06 am

I'm totally in...!

But I don't know what would be better to meet and talk with other TTipsters... Resort or BC...?

It may not be the real thing, but I love cripsy fries the best!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:14 am

Unlikely I'll go to a resort. Especially with my current skis...they just aren't for that.

If we have a meetup I'm not proposing that every person do the same thing. We could get together have some beers (or whatever), figure out what people want to do, break up into groups and have at it. Maybe we'll all go off on our own like a bunch of lonely bears...

Having a resort nearby gives an option for people to bail out if the snow is crappy or they are bored, I'm fine with that... won't hurt my feelings.

If it's just you, me, Bri and my wife, then we'll probably be relegated to a sledding hill or a xc tour. Maybe you should bring the kids? We can go ski at Mont Royal ;)

PS The crispy fries ain't bad, but our gravy and cheese is nowhere near as good as the real thing!

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:33 am

They have a telefest out here in Goulais River Ontario: http://www.bellevuevalleylodge.ca/shome.html called the SnowFlea Telefest. I hear it's epic and have wanted to attend for several years now.

Yeah, it's a long drive for you guys in VT, NH, ME, Quebec but maybe worth it for lack of crowds, predictably deep snow, and great terrain plus affordable lodging...

I know it's a long shot...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:38 am

10 hrs from where I am, and I'm probably the closest.

Maybe if I was a better skier I'd do it. I'll keep in mind a couple years down the road.

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:25 pm

MikeK wrote:We can't get real poutine down south, so I'm OK with heading north!

I had two different frite sauce here in NY since my visit to Quebec, and none were right. Sauce was thick, cheese was gooey, fries were crispy. I really am hungry for some real poutine!
I can bring you something that taste a bit like poutine on a bc tour!
11401443_922457977805360_9008241440289982383_n.jpg

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:51 am

Simulated Flavor! My mouth is watering already :lol:

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:28 pm

I'd be in if I'm in the East at the time. I'll be part of the camping constituancy. And resort only if the bc is really bad or it is a powder day.