22 Design Axl bindings damaging front part of sole of boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
easyjim

Re: 22 Design Axl bindings damaging front part of sole of boots

Post by easyjim » Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Yeah one would think...

It sucks as the axle is at a reasonable price point with otherwise solid construction and have heard and read stellar reviews. I understand that flimsy flex plate enables the three pin change but I'd take a solid targa style toe plate (stronger material) and have to open it up to change any flex. I wonder how many people out there are switching to NTN or giving up on tele because of gear issues like this. When I talked to 22D I got the impression that no more 75 mm bindings would be coming out and the focus was on NTN. I have a solid pair of boots and want to get another 4 or 5 seasons and then some out of them. Coming from downhill as my reference I love my Scarpa T1's and my choice now is an outdated switchback x2 for close to 300 or take a chance on the Bishop BMF-R. If I didn't have a kid on the way next month I'd pull the trigger on the bishops as they are offering a free flex plate with pre orders until may 15th. Looks like an amazing binding and to be able to switch from thin to fat skis in an instant is appealing and offsets the high price point. Good luck!

https://bishopbindings.com/

eraymond

Re: 22 Design Axl bindings damaging front part of sole of boots

Post by eraymond » Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 am

Bummer about your boots. Not sure how wide spread this issue is.

As one data point, I've been using Axl's with T1's for many years with no ill effects. Looks like my T1's are similar vintage as yours based upon your photo.

Clearly your experience is different. It's a great binding, and your mileage may vary. Definitely keeping an eye on the BMF-R....