Alaskas at MEC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Dirtbag

Alaskas at MEC

Post by Dirtbag » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:50 pm

I see MEC now stocks Alpina Alaska's and Montana's. Anybody see or try the Montana's yet?
http://www.mec.ca/product/5044-183/alpi ... 0432+52342
http://www.mec.ca/product/5044-185/alpi ... 0432+52342

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Alaskas at MEC

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:53 am

These are new boots from Alpina.

Pretty sure the Montana is a women's version of the "Wyoming". Strange that MEC is only carrying the Montana.

Don't know anything about them- but my first assumption is that they would have a softer sole flex compared to the Alaska NNNBC. I would suspect the sole flex to be the same as the 1550. Not as much stability as the Alaska- but excellent for xcountry K&G.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:25 am

Cool news!

It's funny how little information you get from Alpina for a 250$ boot... They could have picked a sexier color for the Montana... 8-)

Hey, nice review of the Alaskas on MEC's site Cliffy! ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Dirtbag

Post by Dirtbag » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:13 pm

OK I think I'm going to order some Alaskas next week. Any thoughts on sizing? I'm a 10 1/2 so a 44 or 45? If there as warm as you guys say I guess normal socks and a bit tighter fit would be OK?

kesroberts

Post by kesroberts » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:24 am

I've never tried out the Alaska's but I have a couple of lighter pairs of Alpina boots. I wear 10.5 and sometimes 11 (US) in 'normal' shoes, but Alpina 43's fit me. Maybe someone else can confirm that Alpinas run a little big.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:34 am

I wear 10.5 / 28. I have 3 pairs of Alaskas, size 43 and 44.

The 44 are definitely too big, I have to wear two pairs of socks... The 43's fit pretty well, but they still feel a bit loose... I still have to wear a thick sock... But I think 42 would be too small...

Alpina say 43 = 9.5 US, which doesn't make sense when you have the boots on. So yeah, be sure to grab a lower point, they run very big...

We'll have to start an Alpina Alaska Club...!

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:16 pm

Can I be in the Alaska club- with only one pair? :D

Despite being very pleased with the durability- I would like to buy another pair...if something ever happens to my Alaskas, I might have to bring my Fischer BCX6, or even worse my Rossi BCX6 out of the closet!

Sizing...hmmm.

My experience is different with the Alaska- I do not find them over-sized. In fact, I find that they might be under-sized.

I am US-size 9- on very rare occasion a 9.5. Up until recently, I assumed that I was a 42- 42.5EU. My aging Scarpa backpacking-mountaineering boots are a 42, and have for a number of years seemed too small. So I ordered the Alaska in a 43...

The size 43 Alaska fits me perfectly in the heel (snug), and across the ball of my foot-metatarsus- I have a low volume foot, a narrow heel, but with a comparatively broad forefoot. I do find them large volume for their width though...I had to train the leather tongue to slide WAY underneath the sides...

I ended up buying a new backpacking boot last fall (Scarpa Kinesis) in a 43- they are too big!! Because they are leather, I can get them tight enough- but I wish I had bought a 42 or a 42.5...At first I thought it was the particular model being over-sized, but I have since bought a pair of light-duty Scarpas in a 43 (too big) and have tried on a number of other 43s (too big)...I have come to the conclusion that my old boots shrunk a bit (old leather), and that I am in fact not a 43- but a 42- 42.5 like I thought...

In the end..I am suspicious that a 42 Alaska might actually fit me better...I have to tighten my 43, big time, in order to gather up all of the material.

Whats the point of this long-winded ramble?

Many people have reported that the Alaska is small, too tight, and have had to go with a larger size than usual (i.e. typically wear a 44- but need a 45). I am suspicious that these cases are individuals with wide feet.

My point is that the Alaska seems big if you have a low-volume foot, and especially if you have a NARROW, low-volume foot (only the first part of that matches me).

So- if you have narrow, low-volume feet, you may need to size down from your typical size

If you have wide feet, you may have to size up...and if you do, take the time, while you are breaking them in, to train the leather tongue and sides.

Phew...I think I got what I was trying to say! :roll:

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 am

Poor Dirtbag... How can he make a choice when someone is saying the boots are under-sized and another one says they're over-sized...? :D

I do have narrow feet... Maybe that's why they fit large to me... The guy I bought my first used pair from told me they were running large....

But hey, I always buy boots online, without trying them... None of my boots fit me perfectly... The thing is that you can always add shims, wedges, and foam pads to 'bootfit' a larger boot, but there's not much you can do with a boot too small for you... 8-)

Dirtbag

Post by Dirtbag » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks Guys for the input. Sounds like 43s might be the order. Sounds like there might be a mold split in there somewhere between 42 and 44. MEC is good about returns so that's a big help if things go sideways. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:14 pm

You are right about that- MEC has excellent return policy!

Are you buying the NNN-BC or the 75mm?