Voile Hardwire 3-Pin for touring/resort ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ant01ne

Voile Hardwire 3-Pin for touring/resort ?

Post by Ant01ne » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Do you know if these are good for resorts also, or strictly touring / light duty fluffyness :?:

I kinda like their vintage look and simplicity. ..Would they be able to drive T1s and fat planks? Is it thin metal? Never seen some for real.

:P

MikeK

Re: Voile Hardwire 3-Pin for touring/resort ?

Post by MikeK » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:23 pm

The base is Aluminum, and it's pretty thick, and the bale thin but it is hardened steel. That part is pretty bullet proof. You'd probably tear the screws out of your ski before your broke that.

The heel piece and rods are probably the weakest link... don't really know, don't use them. But the plate and bale are pretty much the same for all Voile 3 pins.

TomH

Post by TomH » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Lots of folks used 3-pin hard-wires as daily drivers at the resort. They'll hold up well. The only reason they're not used much anymore is that lots of folks have moved onto touring bindings that have a free-pivot in the heavier tele world (i.e. switchback) and also the newer NTN offerings.

The only hindrance may be boots. Not all 75 mm boots still have pinholes. I'm 99% sure that the T1's still do though.

Ant01ne

Post by Ant01ne » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks for the reply guys!
Gear gets expensive and I'm tired of changing to stay up to date.
I'd go ntn/tts if somebody offered me 400$ for my 29 T1s. Otherwise, I rather keep it simple.

But these only have 3 screws right? Not sure this would stand my 180 pounds of joy down the hill..

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:44 pm

Antoine, j'ai des 3 Pin Hardwire... Ça grimpe assez bien, mais tu n'as pas beaucoup d'activité avec cette fixation... À peine plus qu'avec une 3 Pin Cable... Avec une T1? Ça ne semble pas un bon match... Il faut se rappeler qu'elle a été designé pour des bottes en cuir... Une T1? Avec une 01 ou une Axl... À mon avis, c'est plus pertinent...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:51 am

Ant01ne wrote:But these only have 3 screws right? Not sure this would stand my 180 pounds of joy down the hill..
I'm pretty sure you mount the riser plate to the ski with the standard 4-hole tele pattern and then mount the toe plate to the riser with 3 screws.

And I agree with TomH. They'll serve you well. Switchback X2 is better if you want to tour.

teledance

Post by teledance » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:34 am

It's a great binding, never striped the screws, hiked miles of BC with this binding drop the heel and hike and the cable and pin combo add redundancy. I've even loaned the Rod and skied pins out when partner needed it. I ski T-race boots, too.

Ant01ne

Post by Ant01ne » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Ouin Rod, ça me laisse perplexe.. Je vais voir ce qu'il y a de dispo en usagé dans le coin de Québec et j'irai avec ça. ;)

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:43 pm

It can work fairly well touring too because you can lock the rods down behind the heel and rely on the three pin mechanism to go up. Some prefer hiking that way, though I personally think a free pivot is better since it is more efficient. But for sharp turns on the skin track, the small resistance of the 3-pin mechanism is better. And the Hardwires are solid for the down. FWIW, Voile rates their performance/flex as "active," which is more than the Switchback's "moderate" but less than the X2's "aggressive."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:27 pm

dnt_upton wrote: FWIW, Voile rates their performance/flex as "active," which is more than the Switchback's "moderate" but less than the X2's "aggressive."
Nothing can beat a good 'ole Rottefella Super Tele for pins. Neutral and the bales are perfect!