Cargo Box Advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Dirtbag

Re: Cargo Box Advice

Post by Dirtbag » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:48 pm

I'll be home in a few days ill post it up. Also have my new Alskas waiting for me when I get there. Showed up today. :D

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:23 am

Well- we've had a couple of cargo boxes for a several years. One of which I bought used (thule); the other I bought new at a good price (yakima). Both of them are long enough to fit classic xcountry skis in them. They are both equally functional- the newer one has a better mounting mechanism.

We have two personal vehicles (RAV4, Prius C)- both with roof racks. Both of our vehicles are typically full of people and dogs. Can't really imagine not having a cargo box. We use them for everything.

With you on your protecting skis from road salt! It is really bad in the Maritimes. An open ski rack just does not work. Plus you put all your ski gear in the box- not just your skis.

When my wife and I (alone!) go on excursions, we keep all our gear in the box- then we can sleep in the back of the RAV if we need to.

I have a hard enough time justifying the cost of a work truck for our farm (that makes and saves us cash). Spending a bit of cash on a cargo box is way cheaper then licensing, registering, insuring, and running an extra vehicle.

My perspective- GET ONE- you'll wonder how you got by without it!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:08 am

Jeece can't say I look at the edges cause they get pretty worn down....Figure road oil will take care of them....Especially early in the year rocks and brush will condition them....Do like them up top.....the long ones pointing the way to who knows where....making telemarks with the Jeep.....on seriously beater dirt roads.....up in the Highlands.....North East Kingdom.....Vermont....TM

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:39 pm

have you thought about a ski bag?
not sure how many pairs you could stuff in one, but they would adequately protect your skis.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:44 pm

That was my first thought Jack. I looked are for individual bags but I wasn't so convinced about how they would clamp down in the rack... could be a PITA.

I'm pretty sure just some plastic garbage bags would do the trick, but they'll rip and get blown all around on the road... so I'm not convinced that is a good solution.

You know I went through all this same though when I had an open trailer for racing... and I finally broke down and bought an enclosed one. It was worth it. I didn't buy new though, and although these boxes are much less of an investment, I'd rather spend my hard earned loot on skis, trips and fun stuff than a plastic box.

Too bad Johnny doesn't live closer... maybe he'd let me borrow his for the winter seen as how he doesn't use it ;)

Rokjox

Post by Rokjox » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Good, 'cause when I re-read your post, I realized the box I saw was nowhere near long enough for 210's, on end it was about head high. 5.5/6 foot . A cargo box, not a full on ski box.

Just as well.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Well... I caved.

Lilcliffy convinced me to look into the Yakima (all my other rack clap-trap is Thule) and I really like the quick release system on the Skybox boxes. Price was decent too from ORS.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:54 am

I gotta say, lilcliffy's advice was spot on. Thanks man!

I bought a Yakima box. Significantly stiffer and nicer than the Thules I looked at in the ski shops. Price was similar. It also has a quick release system (not as cool as ski bindings) so you can get it on and off really quick. Nice and narrow too. I bet I can use it in the summer with a boat on the rack - will be perfect for paddles and pfds.

Latch and lock is a little funky, but I think I figured out it's quirk - it's supposed to prevent you from driving off without the box latched and locked.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:11 am

Cool!

You'll wonder how you got by without it!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.