Yet another 'what camera' thread...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Yet another 'what camera' thread...

Post by MikeK » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:59 pm

...but, with a focus on skiing!

Seems like I'm buying a lot of crap these days, but this is actually my wife. She bought a Nikon D3300 camera this past spring. I don't know much about cameras or photography but it's DLSR and fairly high resolution.

She bought it as some kit and it came with a Nikon 18-55mm lens. It takes decent shots if the light is right.

Problem is... she never uses the damn thing because it's so BIG! We don't want to carry it around on any adventure because it's a monster compared to any mirrorless camera.

So she's regretting buying it and wants to sell it now to get a mirrorless. Makes sense to me because if your out skiing, biking, or in a canoe, you don't want to be flailing around with a giant camera and lens. If your main focus is taking pictures, yeah, you gotta to get the best stuff... and she thought that would be the case... but didn't work out. I surely don't carry the thing around when I go out to do stuff - I barely have the patience to take pictures as it is.

Canon EOS is right in the price range of the D3300, and is probably what she's after. Any opinions?

snowrunner

Re: Yet another 'what camera' thread...

Post by snowrunner » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:39 am

Check out the Sony RX100. It's a really small high quality point and shoot camera with great lens and captor. As a DSLR guy, I was really afraid of the limitation of the point and shoot, but this one deliver awesome video and picture for it's size.

Check this review.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:59 pm

Yeah I think I want point and shoot. Mirrorless is too expensive and still too bulky.

I'll take a look at the Sony. Thanks for the info!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 pm

I don't have any specific recomendations but my next point and shoot camera will have a view finder in addition to the led display. It's just too hard to see the screen in bright sun making it hard to find your subject especially doing videos.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Snowrunner,

I decided to give the Sony RX100 a try. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I was going to go for a Cannon Powershot G7X but you convinced me to give the Sony a look.

I went with the MK1 stripped down version. The only thing I didn't realize is it doesn't have the tilting LCD display... oh well. One less thing to break I guess.

I've been playing with it but it's really for my wife. So far I think she'll be happy with it. Controls are pretty easy to figure out.

Thanks again!