All-Mountain vs Freeride Boots for a Beginner?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Fixx42

All-Mountain vs Freeride Boots for a Beginner?

Post by Fixx42 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:02 am

Hello all,

One last question for newbie gear advice, if you don't mind. I now have my tele set up all ready, except for boots. I got a pair of used Garmont Ener-G's for an excellent price, but after trying them on for a while, found they were just barely too small. I'm debating now over whether I should get the next size up of the Ener-G, or switch to the all-mountain Syner-G instead.

I ski almost exclusively on-piste at lift-served resorts, but have heard that all-mountain boots can be better for newbies who are still learning to flex the tele turn. Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm hoping to hit the slopes in a couple of weeks!

Many thanks,
Fixx

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: All-Mountain vs Freeride Boots for a Beginner?

Post by Johnny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:21 pm

The Syner-Gs were my first plastic boots. They were a major upgrade from leathers... But I would stick to the Ener-Gs if you plan on keeping the boots a few years...

Have you tried baking the liners? You can gain almost a whole point by doing so...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

!ski

Re: All-Mountain vs Freeride Boots for a Beginner?

Post by !ski » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Syner-G and Ener-G are really the same boot - one is just taller with 4 buckles and the shorter is 3 buckles, but
the boot itself is the same ... I assume you are shopping in the "previously owned" boot market.

A squish small (short or volume) can be fixed a lot of ways - by yourself or a boot fitter.

Baking the liners adjusting to improve the fit, for length or volume, different socks, foot bed, or even
adding lift under the heel to "shorten the foot".

Though a squish small is one thing, too small is another thing all together.

-r