Why the telemark?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
paul kalac

Re: Why the telemark?

Post by paul kalac » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:24 pm

MikeK wrote:Many theorize that telemark died because of cars and lifts (I think I got that straight out of XCD), and I would wholeheartedly agree with that.

It is truly an inferior technique for riding a lift and riding on groomed snow. Alpine developed to ski just those very conditions (although I don't believe it started that way).

I've said it a million times but my whole interest in Telemark came from necessity. Necessity to control Nordic skis in soft snow conditions. I honestly would have never even put any effort into it if I thought I could get by knowing what I did.

I just finished re-reading XCD again to refresh myself for this year, and in the version I have (the first edition), Steve Barnett outlines the necessity of learning the telemark turn for all these same reasons. He also outlines the importance of using the right turn or technique for the snow/terrain conditions... and that isn't always the telemark.

Mike, it brought tears to my eyes that you re-read XCD prior to the ski season. Now that's visionary. Some day the skinny ski tele will be back around with a twist I'm sure. I'm hanging onto my 59 thru 68 tips until then.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Yup - I still read that book. Lots for me to learn in there.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:26 am

TwoDogNight wrote: , I got bored. Kind of like a jam band concert....too much and too long and all the same.....usually.
HA! I am with you on this comparison! I was quickly phished-out...
I LOVE going UP on ski or bike. Yes....it earns the turns and is actually a workout!
YAH!
Truly I found XC skiing as an adult and mostly due to not wanting to drive to the mountains. Taking advantage of local terrain and valuing my time in a hectic life of family, work and self care. The telemark turn, outside of being FUN, simply allows for expansion of terrain previously unusable.

Local woods allows for daily use and having skiing built into my everyday, when conditions allow, rather than a weekend of out of shape alpine or high country BC....which is nice, for sure, but pointless when not specifically conditioned for multiple days of pushing the physical boundaries.

Peace, solitude, sweat, thrill, and the zen all combine for a sweet experience in the woods on snow. It's all about truly varied terrain and the exploration of the local. Daily.
This truly resonates with me man...I feel very fortunate to be able to ski in the woods and hills right from my doorstep.

I live for "wilderness" experiences. Although I do have a bit of a commute to work (50kms one way)- I get to live in a paradise of forest, hills, river and stream valleys, and small fields.

If I could make a living growing food and cutting wood- I would likely never be seen again!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Andinista

Post by Andinista » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Telemark in powder is way more fun than alpine on powder, maybe because the softness is enhanced by the freedom of having the feet loose, as opposed to locked down, while still being able to go as fast as you want. That's probably why, I don't really know, but it's just more fun. Then in all other conditions I find myself mostly practicing for the real thing. It's about what you aim for, not a lot of people aim for the extreme stuff where you can't tele as well as alpine, most people aim for what they enjoy the most. Telemarking on icy or groomed snow is not as effective and maybe not as fun as alpine skiing on such conditions, but the few times i switch to alpine for that reason I feel like loosing my time, practicing for conditions that don't call my attention so much. I'd rather choose a less steep run and practice some good carving on teles, just to make a better use of my time..
Now the Meidjo bindings allow both tele and alpine, so you can have it all. I'd go for that, just switch when you need or want.