Pinnah, I need a "tattered copy" of your website

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
paul kalac

Pinnah, I need a "tattered copy" of your website

Post by paul kalac » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:37 pm

There's something missing this season, it's Pinnah's website. Maybe it's been gone for awhile, but who checks it outside ski season? The way the site clarified ALL of "rugged nordic backcountry" from "traditional touring" XC skis up thru "cirque class teles" up to "wide, shaped" skis. Pinnah's site explained what I had been dabbling in for years. His classification of skis and boots and bindings made this nordic bc ski thing as clear to me as crystal. It should have been required reading for ski shops everywhere.

Dave, damn the digital world, I can't find an out-of-print copy of your website on Alibris, Abe Books, or Amazon, like I can Barnett. What do we do now?

Paul from the ADKS

MikeK

Re: Pinnah, I need a "tattered copy" of your website

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:03 pm

I don't think Dave checks this site actually, or he might have chimed in here or there.

I think he has an account on Tele East, but I don't recall what the s/n is (I'm sure you could find it).... might just be pinnah? Anyway, I'd try to pm him there.

Good luck!

Too bad we couldn't keep his material in the TT archives! If you get the data, I'll ask the boss ;)

paul kalac

Post by paul kalac » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:31 pm

MikeK wrote:I don't think Dave checks this site actually, or he might have chimed in here or there.

I think he has an account on Tele East, but I don't recall what the s/n is (I'm sure you could find it).... might just be pinnah? Anyway, I'd try to pm him there.

Good luck!

Too bad we couldn't keep his material in the TT archives! If you get the data, I'll ask the boss ;)

Thanks Mike, it's a pleasure to chat with you here, as in the past! I went ahed and PM'd Dave on TeleEast. Lol, see what happens.

Are you coming over to the Adirondacks this winter?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:58 pm

I'll surely be up to the ADKs as much as I can. When there is snow and I'm not behind a desk, I'll be there!

snowrunner

Post by snowrunner » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:03 am

Scheduled Maintenance

The Internet Archive's sites are offline for scheduled maintenance and upgrades.

Please check our twitter feed @internetarchive for updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Conspiracy !

paul kalac

Post by paul kalac » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:24 am

Encouraging words from our friend...

Hi Paul,

Yah, Comcast pulled their support of personal web space. It's on my to do list to put it back up but I'm not sure what to do yet.

Sorry.
Dave "Pinnah" Mann

paul kalac

Post by paul kalac » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:41 am

Shenanagains wrote:Not the original site, and does not excuse Dave's absence, but the material has been kept viewable here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201510021509 ... rtbag.html

Thanks man! This archive worked for me. I'm in the process of printing the site for personal use. :geek: You can never be too careful with great material.

Let it snow!

paul kalac

Post by paul kalac » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 am

Mike, here is Dave's response over on TelemarkEast FYI. You mentioned the possibility of hosting the content. I honestly don't know what to do next, I'm not a website/forum techie :(

Hey folks,

Comcast <spit> has dropped support for personal web pages. So I'm considering trying to find an affordable web hosting service or maybe just folding the content into the Wikipedia pages for backcountry skiing.

The thing about the digital vanity press is the small half-life of information.

I appreciate the kind word from people. I wrote the pages out of frustration - sort of a personal learning experience since I too couldn't find the information I was looking for. Most books focused (correctly) on technique and give the most cursory treatment of the gear.

It's a wonderful sport. The most wonderful, really.

I'm open to suggestions on where to put the content.
Dave "Pinnah" Mann

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:58 am

I wrote a response to him over there but I haven't published it yet. I'm unsure how to approach this at the moment... but I'm working on it.