Sporten: a new player on the nordic backcountry ski scene

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Sporten: a new player on the nordic backcountry ski scene

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Czech it out for yourselves:

http://www.sporten.cz/eng/catalog/nordi ... ckcountry/

Had the Expedition 90-70-80 in my hands today. A nice ski! Seems double cambered, well really stiff in the pocket, needed my two hand to flatten out a 170cm and even then. The place in town only has the waxless (positive) base but from Sporten's website, it appears they make a waxable too (!)

The good new is the shop will have a few pairs for rent so I get to try one out for cheap.....if ever snow falls that is.

I'm sure I'd love a pair of the Expeditions at 180cm if single cambered and waxable....

What do you think of the Sporten line?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Re: Sporten: a new player on the nordic backcountry ski scen

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Looks like they would be good for flat terrain touring. Not a lot of sidecut, fairly straight looking shape, no torsion box, wax base.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:27 am

bgregoire wrote:Czech it out for yourselves:
Very good.

I have checked out this website before- can't remember why...

I have never seen them in the flesh though. what shop has them for rent?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am

La Vie Dehors in Rimouski. My guess is that they will only have them setup with NNN BC though. Sounds like they are distributed by the same folks that are brining Alfa boots into Québec. Got to slip a few pairs on as well! Great support and stiff flex! Hoping the distributor will bring in the 75mm....

Coming back to the Sporten, I've noticed the recommended lengths are rather short, especially in the wider models, when compared to similar brands. I must say the Expeditions camber was very hard to flatten out. So these might be for those looking to ski short or for the heavier built (The Ranger's longest length at 200cm for someone between 207-233lb!!!).
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:05 am

Would love to try the Sporten's at some point...not sure when I'm going to make it to QC again- was hoping this winter- but it is not looking like we will be able to pull it off.

Alfa boots, eh? Very interested in the Quest Advance...did you try that model on? CANNOT believe how expensive they are! For that kind of money, I don't know if I will ever be able to justify buying a pair- as opposed to just getting another pair of Alaskas.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:19 am

lilcliffy wrote:Would love to try the Sporten's at some point...not sure when I'm going to make it to QC again- was hoping this winter- but it is not looking like we will be able to pull it off.

Alfa boots, eh? Very interested in the Quest Advance...did you try that model on? CANNOT believe how expensive they are! For that kind of money, I don't know if I will ever be able to justify buying a pair- as opposed to just getting another pair of Alaskas.
They did not have the Quest Advance in my size and only in NNN BC. Alfa boots are by far the most confortable I have found as yet (for those afflicted with wide toes).

The Quest A/P/S are neat too but I prefer the polar with cotton gaiter (more breathable) and velcro over the zip. Can you imagine having to change the zip if ever it snags? Once again though, they dont have the Polars at the local shop, and +$$$.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:56 am

I do not know if I would be interested. I've seen em here in Quebec City... Strong camber, reminding me the Rossis (except the 125). I had Rossis BC90 at some point. Sold them immediately after a couple of try. The climbing was horrible, the turning not much better; problem is I followed the mfg recommandations regarding length. Should have bought the smaller ones. I would get the 125 though... camber similar to a degree to annum maybe epoch... Why larger touring skis with strong camber? I do not get it but it is primarly a matter of taste, I guess...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Rodbelan wrote:I do not know if I would be interested. I've seen em here in Quebec City... Strong camber, reminding me the Rossis (except the 125). I had Rossis BC90 at some point. Sold them immediately after a couple of try. The climbing was horrible, the turning not much better; problem is I followed the mfg recommandations regarding length. Should have bought the smaller ones. I would get the 125 though... camber similar to a degree to annum maybe epoch... Why larger touring skis with strong camber? I do not get it but it is primarly a matter of taste, I guess...
We need a graph of that camber :ugeek:

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Rodbelan wrote: Why larger touring skis with strong camber? I do not get it
I'm with you on that! I'd love to hear what Sporten would have to say? Could this simply be an oversight???

Otherwize, they call em Expedition: could this be some kind of compromise between efficient K&G on hard flat surfaces (lakes), good floatation in heavy fluff and stability on the down. I'm excluding tele-turning in this approach. The objective would be extended traversing, with, perhaps, a heavy backpack or pulka.

Have to say too, found the skis quite light and i like the graphics.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:36 pm

bgregoire wrote: Otherwize, they call em Expedition: could this be some kind of compromise between efficient K&G on hard flat surfaces (lakes), good floatation in heavy fluff and stability on the down. I'm excluding tele-turning in this approach. The objective would be extended traversing, with, perhaps, a heavy backpack or pulka.
I think this. Winter backpacking or expeds. Shorter length and increased width for maneuverability and stability I'd assume.