Catamount Trail

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Catamount Trail

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Does anyone still ski this? Anyone have plans to?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Catamount Trail

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Yes people still ski it. I've had plans to ski sections for a while, never seem to get over to that side of the River, however.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:48 pm

I've been looking at the maps on the website. It's a lot of trail.

It's going on my list - maybe I'll get over there one of these days.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:57 pm

There are some portions that are particularly well suited to skiing and day-trips. I am not versed enough to write at length, however.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:52 am

Mike look up Craftsbury Outdoor Center, they take care of a section of the Catamount trail....Also run a shuttle so you can come back to or go to and it all works out....Craftsbury Outdoor Center is a great CC area for North Vermont in the Northeast Kingdom....Several Olympians work out there....Not expensive!!!! Wonderful people....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:01 am

Awesome - I was actually wondering about shuttling!

I was going to try to see if I could meet up with Johnny or another forum member out there so we could do a shuttle or key swap.

Maybe I'll try a section this year if they ever get any snow...

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:22 am

The "Center" was purchased from one of my friends....The people who bought it seem like really decent people....They are building a high energy place to help young ones take a trip into a place on the world stage....Home cooking....not expensive...(Oldies pass for the year and summer are 25$) They also make some snow so they have a short oval that sees people ripping along on their one inch skis....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:16 pm

I like places like that. Small, homey, little known. Free is best, but I don't mind spending a few bucks. Buying food is OK, but I don't like to pay for my skiing ;)

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:14 pm

The latest episode of Wintry Mix Podcast (Episode 29) is about current planning, development, maintenance of the Catamount Trail. They're thinking about creating a hut system along the Trail and making it a four season trail. I'd love to see this happen! Here's the link to the podcast site: http://www.vpr.net/apps/podcasts/wintry-mix