Update from the XCD Knights

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Update from the XCD Knights

Post by Johnny » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:51 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:01 pm
This forum is pretty inclusive

Seriously, as you may have noticed, it would be hard to find a more inclusive and more open-minded place than here on the internet. There are a lot of XC skiers and ATers here, and they are all welcome as you have seen. Even snowboarders and alpine skiers are welcome here. Even people who don't ski yet. The only people who are not welcome anymore are bullies, trolls and know-it-all internet idiots.

My sense is that this forum was created to foster and protect the domain of people who like to ski light touring gear with a free heel.

This place was (re)created to keep sharing the knowledge of EVERYTHING Telemark and to preserve that information for the future generations. This place has welcomed all kinds of free-heelers since day one.

Keep in mind that YOU, and only you, are the creators of the content you see and read here. (Yep, it does seem like Light touring guys like to talk a little more than the others. Probably because there is SO much new stuff and new gear coming out of this area compared to the rest of the spectrum...)

I think I better understand some of the Admin's recent behavior.

You don't need to go into deep philosophical reflections here. The only reason why people got kicked out of here was because they either bullied, attacked or made false claims about other honest users. And that's it.

(They had many chances to redeem themselves, but they never did. )

What is this forum?

A free, open-minded Telemark forum for the benefit of everyone. And yes, as you previously asked, this place is here to stay. For many decades. No matter what you guys turn it into, it's none of my business actually. So really... Why not make it something great while you're at it?

Spread the love, help others and keep it cool.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:59 pm

mca80 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:33 pm
"XCD simply means going downhill with cross-country ski equipement. The actual location where you ski is not taken into consideration. You can do backcountry XCD just as you can also do on-piste XCD."

Manney, this contradicts your statement re crusades. Also, connyro's response was never addressed, that if someone does xc skiing and encounters a hill, is it xcd? Lastly, the emphasis here is on gear. As lilcliffy pointed out, one wouldn't embark on a polar expedition with high tech heavy tele gear simply because it is not efficient.

"You are free to do whatever you want once in XCD mode. You're totally free. It's yours to decide.
XCD only requires having the right gear and the right way of using it."

The "right way of using" it would seem to contradict that one is "totally free." But again the emphasis is on the gear, i.e. traditional xc kit.

"The fact of this matter comes from the very roots of Telemark skiing. We seek to preserve those roots and see the techniques used to ski cross-country equipment downhill world-wide."

This is the crux. Preserving roots and the techniques that were born out of those roots. Of course, duck butts and various other contraptions have a debt to those roots, but are so far removed insofar as they don't make for efficient XC that a distinction needs to be made. Yes you can traverse in plastics, NTN and super fat planks, but, given other options, namely--actual xc gear--why would you?

Might be wise to ask, in relation to a much earlier post--if you wouldn't use particular kit to ski 5 miles to do 300' vert and ski 5 miles back, can that kit properly be called xcd?

I am of course new to all this, having come from an alpine dh and ice skating background, and the former only once I reached adulthood. But having learned xc skiing a mere few years ago and reading this forum for 2 years--and given my local terrain--my main goal is to get better at xc skiing and what I believe to be xcd, using the same equipment that spawned the telemark and which teleman and some others are supportive of. Like woodserson said, the joy isn't just turning downhill but being out in the woods (or elsewhere if you live above treeline) and the trek involved. The need for speed mentality, common among bored industralized people, can be met by purely dh, which can be enhanced by more powerful equipment. But that isn't what any of this is about in my opinion. More powerful equipment results necessarily in a loss of connection to the snow because it acts as intermediary. And that is why xcd--preserving the connection and free-spiritedness, whether in the BC or even riding a lift but with centuries-old (or similar enough) technology.
Some good points here…

The Knights haven’t written about Telemark in explicit terms. Their words appear more as “guidance”. This makes them broadly inclusive but not without some logical bounds. Thus, their teachings seek to encourage knowledge and truth by self discovery rather than blind adherence to a particular dogma.

You make some good points about XC skiing. Being free heel, they allow telemark to be practiced for those with the requisite skills. But even exceptional skill doesn’t make a 44mm track ski suited to telemark skiing.

We might say that backcountry skis were the result of this revelation, but that would give too much credit to industry. Truth is that backcountry skis were always with us… just not “mass marketed” in North America or certain other parts of the world. They were hunters’ and tourers’ skis… functional things that were suitable for terrain and snow beyond the reach of machines with weird sounding names… like Pinroth or Pisten Bully.

So as much as the Knights might (emphasis on “might” because my words do not necessarily reflect their views) say that a track or skate ski could be telemark skied, they would probably accept that a wider XC ski would be more suitable for such noble pursuits. They might also add that a backcountry ski would be a wholly acceptable choice too… along with, perhaps, an Alpine touring ski. Emphasis on touring.

The Knights of Telemark are not authorities of all things… or all things skiing. My sense is that this is why the word “Telemark” is part of their title.

So while the Knights are broadly inclusive, they do stay within their domain. My guess is that they’d consider Alpine Touring skis in their definitions, but not Alpine Skis. This seems to align with your thinking about the “tour” being an important element of Tele.

Of course, SC skiers will encounter changes in elevation worthy of being called a “hill”. But they won’t naturally seek these things out for recreation… they may train on hills to appear less awkward. They might even try to swiftly climb or descend on them. But they will only do so as a matter of necessity, not natural inclination (if you pardon the pun).

The issue of natural inclination might also factor into duck butts and plastic boots suitable for free heeling. These were not born from inclination to free heel ski. They became popular as a matter of necessity for those who didn’t have the inclination to weather long cycles of pain and frustration to telemark ski as their forefathers (or younger selves) once did.

That’s my interpretation of the words presented by Knights and folks more learned than me anyway. It aligns pretty well with many of your thoughts… which tells me that the teachings of the Knights, however infrequent, are guiding us to some of the same truths.
Go Ski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:23 pm

XCD Knights, manney. "Telemark" doesn't appear in their name. Go back and reread your whole post.
That said I agree with most all of what you wrote. Except, going downhill on 44m underfoot skis is not ideal it is still xcd, and mighty impressive I might add.

Manney

Post by Manney » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:38 pm

Going downhill on 44s is pretty easy. Doing much with them on the descent is impressive. This is why a ski isn’t an XCD one just because it can go down a hill. Any ski can do that.

Good point on XCD Knights. Gotta stop looking at the world thru tele lenses. Ha ha.

With a quorum of two or three (you, @greatgt, myself), this might be a good time to re-examine the Knights’ philosophy on ski widths. My sense is that a reasonable ski for this kind of work *starts* at something greater than 60mm wide at the shovel. 80-100mm is the sweet spot. More than 120mm sucks so badly on the tour that it disqualifies itself.

Not talking edge cases here (mile deep eider down quality powder that will swallow a skier faster than a crevasse, slopes not climb able by humans with skis, carrying extreme loads… half body weight or greater). Talking randonee, fjell, glade, etc.

Not cluttering up the issue with rocker, length, camber either… as important as these issues are in their own right.

Thoughts?
Go Ski

mca80

Post by mca80 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:49 pm

I will buy a lift ticket this year for the first time in many, many years. Ride Asnes Nansen, no rocker minimal single+ camber more sidecut than days past but essentially a 90s style telemark ski, with rotte st and cable. Leather boots either floppy or used old stiff.. If i master, get rid of the cable.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:10 pm

Chance my truck dies before then. If that, then just rolling hills. Xcd?

Manney

Post by Manney » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:37 pm

You get to decide…

A “rolling hill” to one skier… is a decent slope on which to practice to another… or a meaningless pimple to another. How long is a piece of string? Without dimensions it all becomes very subjective.
Go Ski

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:17 pm

I was amazed last fall when I first got my Karhu Guides and started messing around at the golf course near house. I couldn't believe how much fun I was having on 6 inches of snow and low angle 200 foot runs. I always wondered if the people driving by on the freeway were jealous of my 3 turn powder 8's or thought I was on crack

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:08 am

109-78-95mm? Or 74-60-64?
IMG_0090.jpeg
Either way, it’s like something a Knight would call “safe”.

Dunno what the groundskeeper would say tho…
Go Ski

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:56 am

The 109's. Are they xcd if paired with sb and t4? Or alaska and nnnbc? Idono, it's all fun. I have all the skis now, damn this page. But I got everything covered