hemiboreal forest skiing in New Brunswick Canada

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: hemiboreal forest skiing in New Brunswick Canada

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:28 am

The recent storm snow has settled enough now that I have fully waxed up and broken out my 210cm E99 Tours for some lightening BC trail skiing.

Went out for a lengthy hilly tour on my Combat Natos early in the day yesterday- breaking trail through wonderful soft snow.

Took the E99 Tour out after chores yesterday evening and absolutely crushed a good 10kms on broken out track. Man those skis are fast when the snow is supportive enough for their camber and flex! And they are so light and responsive, plus those open, rockered tips- they are truly a blast on the downhill runs too!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:06 am

In the glacially deposited hills north of Detroit, cold temperatures allowed me to enjoy mostly solitude on my local hilly trails. I was slipping in green on the trail packed from boots, bikes, paws, and skis. I layered on three thin coats of blue and I had wings! I guess those USGI skis are heavy, and I realize the Alico Ski March boots are heavy, but they are a great match for the uneven snow surface on my multi use trails. The minimal ski cut gets kicked around minimally. The USGI is a lively wood ski, I enjoy that feeling under my feet. Yesterday I was carrying enough speed to be able to lay the Telemark around the bike carved banked turns at the bottom of some downhills. I was flying downhill fast enough to carry speed up the hills. It was awesome!
I will never lose my love of skiing downhill. As a matter of fact, I have a new tour for turns / norpine ski on order. However, I owe you guys a great debt, because now I also have a love for Nordic touring. First Nordic touring is what is available down the road, it is always best to find joy in what is available. Secondly, Nordic touring is skiing! While my kick and glide technique needs lots of work, so much of Nordic touring is skiing. Being centered, balanced on your skis, being right on them so you can get an extra kick when you are already flying downhill on a trail. Staying balanced so you can throw a sweet Telemark carve at the bottom. Keeping right on the skis so you can get a kick coming out of that Telemark, and keep the speed going. Man, Nordic touring is skiing! Thanks guys, I can't see myself enjoying this winter so much without learning about the joy of touring on these pages. I started this journey looking for a way to enjoy some free downhills, but I have found so much more.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:14 am

Wonderful Bob- I can hear the speed and the joy in your words!

Got out under the moon late last night- got another quick spin in after chores early this morning.

I am now chained to my desk trying to force myself to do more preparation for a new semester that starts tomorrow!!! :cry: :D

Going to use the snow as a reward for getting some work done, late in the day.

Love reading your descriptions of your trail touring- it resonates my dear friend!

Very much looking forward to hearing your tale of that new ski in the mail!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Worked from my home office today! No classes- STORM DAY! Massive Noreaster dumping snow on us right now! 40+cm in the forecast! Another 30cm in the forecast on Tuesday! Plus it has been cold enough to snow a bit every day.

The snow was settled over the last 10 days- have been back to work, and skiing on my E99 Tours all week. The current waxable E99 Tour is a lightening-fast touring ski- if there is a dense stable base. The untracked snow is still wonderfully soft in the woods- but the snow is settled enough to support the double-camber of the E99. If I had to choose just one BC Nordic Touring ski- it wouldn't be as stiff and cambered as the E99- but, MAN- if you like to fly in the hills, you should have a double-cambered BC ski in your quiver for when the snow is ideal!!!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 pm

you are right in the cross-hairs of this one! break out the 210 Nato's and put the E99 back in the closet
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Yeah- I can hear the Combat Natos humming at the same frequency of that Noreaster wind!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Very very nice showing here in central NH, at least a foot of snow or more, blowing now. Never got higher than 15 degrees at the hill, temperature should start dropping soon. LC, keep an eye out on that temperature, looks like it's getting warm in southern NB I hope you have elevation and it stays cold for you.

Dry fluff today at the hill, best skiing I've had since last February. I had one run that boggled my mind and made all this GAS and online contemplation and studying worth it. YES!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

What happened in New Brunswick? Looks like that is where the storm made landfall - 80+ mph sustained winds, that's a Category 1 hurricane. Look at my friend's house in Hampton Beach, NH - it's the one behind the truck:
HamptonBeach.jpg

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm

We didn't get those hurricane-force winds here in NB- wind was bad enough though! Nova Scotia and coastal NB got hammered!

We thankfully didnt get any rain either. We got over 40cm of excellent snow though!!!!!

Last time I checked over a third of Nova Scotians were without power- brutal!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:54 pm

glad you still have power! I hope everybody has fireplaces or wood stoves ready. 40cm snow sounds good, this storm moved a little fast to become truly epic for snowfall but we'll take it.