Flower Power and other Random Shit

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
MikeK

Flower Power and other Random Shit

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:40 pm

lowangle al wrote:Mike some resort days would do you good on any kind of nordic gear. You have more than enough info in your head that it will take a lot of practice for the rest of your body to catch up. With only 12 ski days in this season you would get more vertical in one day at the resort than you got all season.
I dunno man, this year's been rough. Even the ski resorts are hurting. I'm happy to have (now) 13 days of skiing au natural. Plus I really like touring. Turns aren't everything for me. Or are you just trying to train me for when you get that adventure van ;)

MikeK

Re: Downgrading

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:42 pm

bgregoire wrote: Yes, a while ago. they are 84-68-74. I keep writing this up everywhere on this forum. I feel like a dog pissing my scent at every corner! Amazing forgotten skis. Closest modern ski to it is the Asnes Ingstad.
I hadn't noticed :roll:

And you think those old goats can compete with GREY MAN!?!? :lol:

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Downgrading for Downhill

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:48 pm

MikeK wrote:Plus I really like touring
I like touring too, going to the resort was a sacrafice I made to get to where I am today. Expertville.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Downgrading

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:48 pm

bgregoire wrote:
lowangle al wrote:Waxable 10th Mts, thats cool, were they made by Karhu?
Yes, a while ago. they are 84-68-74. I keep writing this up everywhere on this forum. I feel like a dog pissing my scent at every corner! Amazing forgotten skis. Closest modern ski to it is the Asnes Ingstad.
Wicked skis...been lusting over them for years...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:51 pm

lowangle al wrote:
MikeK wrote:Plus I really like touring
I like touring too, going to the resort was a sacrafice I made to get to where I am today. Expertville.
I hear ya man. Just paying $50-80 to skid around on man-made ice isn't always very alluring to me. Did it for years.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:54 pm

I only ever go to the resort with my kids these days...My two oldest have gotten to the point that they can REALLY rip it up ...the most powerful boots I have are the T4 (with 3pc and XCD Guides and XCD 10th Mtns). I don't like either of these skis on piste...I have to admit that when I go with my kids I ski with my Atomic Smoke Ti and Alpine boots-bindings. As much as my passion is Nordic skiing- I do like to burn a strip off the side of the mountain every now and then....And I need to, to keep up with my kids (and especially my wife)!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:59 pm

MikeK wrote:I hear ya man. Just paying $50-80 to skid around on man-made ice isn't always very alluring to me. Did it for years.
thats why you have to find the loose snow on the edges of the lowangle trails. Skiing on the ice isn't worth a nickle. I've been to some small hills (resorts) back in Pa. recently and found good snow every time.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:01 pm

I hate trying to keep up with anything or anybody anymore. It's too much damn work...

If I were going to resorts these days with my XCD ski and there was natural snow around I'd probably wander off where I wasn't supposed to. Going off in the tree used to be my favorite part of skiing when I was a teenager. Give me the ability to kick and glide across flat sections and likely I'd end up in the next county!

I'm in no hurry where I'm going. Hopefully in another year or two I'll really be able to rip it up on NNN, but as far as my aspiration for XCD, the type of terrain they are skiing in that WG video is about all I'm ever looking to do.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:04 pm

lowangle al wrote:
MikeK wrote:I hear ya man. Just paying $50-80 to skid around on man-made ice isn't always very alluring to me. Did it for years.
thats why you have to find the loose snow on the edges of the lowangle trails. Skiing on the ice isn't worth a nickle. I've been to some small hills (resorts) back in Pa. recently and found good snow every time.
I hear ya. Last time I was at a resort I stuck to side of greens and blues because everything else was skied off mess. I mean skiing that ice makes you a good skier too, but a different kind of skier.

Up until last week there wasn't even any snow on the edges. It was all man-made glacier. And when they only have half the trails open, trust me, all that gets skied!

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:09 pm

MikeK wrote: the type of terrain they are skiing in that WG video is about all I'm ever looking to do.

I hate trying to keep up with anything or anybody anymore. It's too much damn work...

If I were going to resorts these days with my XCD ski and there was natural snow around I'd probably wander off where I wasn't supposed to. Going off in the tree used to be my favorite part of skiing when I was a teenager. Give me the ability to kick and glide across flat sections and likely I'd end up in the next county!

I'm in no hurry where I'm going. Hopefully in another year or two I'll really be able to rip it up on NNN, but as far as my aspiration for XCD, the type of terrain they are skiing in that WG video is about all I'm ever looking to do.
Being an underachiever in your career or diy projects around the house is one thing, but I just can't condone it in recreational pursuits.