Backcountry Incidents

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
Lhartley

Backcountry Incidents

Post by Lhartley » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:05 pm

"A 32-year-old man from Saskatchewan has died after falling from the Aemmer Couloir on Mount Temple in Banff National Park on Friday, according to RCMP."

Now personally, a person's personal choices are in response to their own personal safety mitigation, and risk tolerance. That said, I've seen peeps on telemark forums claiming incorrect pole plants as misinformation. So where does that leave pro's pied pipering peeps up 1800' couliors in January? Do your own research or blame the YouTube video?

Https://globalnews.ca/news/10255120/sas ... ke-louise/

https://skithefifty.com/aemmer-couloir

Lhartley

Re: Backcountry Incidents

Post by Lhartley » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:04 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/a ... r-BB1jIij7

I've been on an alpine hiatus while learning yalls strange style of sliding on slopes, this Zone here though is my go to and is one that gets taken for granted in the avalanche condition department. It seems like nice low angle trees but you get tempted into spicy open glades that slide easily, this is advanced territory that can be misleading.

Beautiful spot for alpine touring though. RIP
Screenshot_20240311_210223_Instagram.jpg
my buddy on his split setup at Engadine Burn, Kananaskis

Lhartley

Re: Backcountry Incidents

Post by Lhartley » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:35 am

Very sad. The avalanche forecast for that day was low across the board. I was out that day, had a great time I. Broke my alpine hiatus and skied Burstall Pass. It did feel a bit spicy as things warmed up around noon I headed out and ran into several parties headed up. Spring mean early starts. RIP
Screenshot_20240403_073052_Facebook.jpg