Mr Ma

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
MikeK

Mr Ma

Post by MikeK » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:12 pm

http://www.wsj.com/articles/alibabas-ja ... 1435155612

Touted as a Philanthropist and Conservationist, I say he's neither.

If he was he would have given it to the people of NYS as a gift to the Forest Preserve with no mention of his name. Maybe my expectations of billionaires is too high?

Rokjox

Re: Mr Ma

Post by Rokjox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:41 pm

This is the 21 century.

I live near Taco Bell Arena. And the Ford Idaho Center, a big indoor stadium mostly paid for when it was the Simplot Idaho Center by the invention of superior fried potatoes. He died and lost his legacy. Taco Bell is a corp and immortal almost. But if they die, some other rich smuck will get tapped for the honors.

They want your money, they acclaim your donation for a few days, then spend it and ask for more. Its the way its done and it sucks. So what. The wasted money is a byprodick of the excesses of capitalism as it is allowed to be practiced at this time. Its not like they are screwing you directly, it mostly comes from either being overcharged or underpaid throughout a lifetime, you hardly even notice anymore.

Taco bell arena for criminy...

Morrison-Knudsen becomes IBS and Hewlett-Packard becomes HP then some thing else. Idaho Bank and Trust sells to First Interstate, then they sell to Wells fargo, my original account is now something else... Idaho history is lost, also personal histories, but some corp (usually a Kali) gets low cost advertising and a weird tax shelter of some kind. Bitching at the guy with ten thousand times your assets seems kinda small. I mean, he just gave away a thousand times what youre worth... you got envy issues? Being anonymous is SO futile, you WILL be discovered and assimilated.

When you die, your name will be erased off your tombstone and the space rented to a sidewalk fish stand down the street.

That guy is gonna have a 2 million acre personal fiefdom in the belly of the American Dragon proper. An area the size of a small country... is his, says so in the US Law. If there is anything wrong with that, its got nothing to do with philanthropy, fame or due credit. Its how empires are run miles over the heads of you or I.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:25 pm

So Mr. Jox,

I'm surprised you had no commentary on the fact that this was a Chinese national buying US land. Seems to me it could be a point of contention for those who think China will own us in the future. Seems the future may be now.

My complaint is not this though - it's that everyone treats this guy like he's some kind of god for buying some land to conserve it. Granted it probably will be preserved for the most part, but if he was truly into the spirit of the Adirondack park and what the people of NY have set up, he would realize that there are millions of acres for him to enjoy, and he really doesn't need a private estate.

Also there will be those who will say NYS doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground and we can't manage our public lands. Some of this true, but we do OK, and I believe in the system. Billionaires do not however. They see it fit to buy things with money we've pilfered (by we I mean the American people) on silly doodads and manage the land how they see fit. This guy does not believe in the Adirondack park or conservation. He believes in having a private estate. That's fine, this is America, we have that right, but write it that way goddammit!

Rokjox

Post by Rokjox » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:31 pm

well, you are right on all fronts, including China eventually owning us.

Except that history has shown that generally that doesn't exactly work out the way expected. When the mongols took over China, they did a fine job of an impossible task. 100 years later, nothing was left of the victors but a few surname equivalents. they were assimilated. They didn't look mongol, they didn't eat mares blood for breakfast lunch and dinner and they didn't act like Mongols.

The guy buying up NY is not going to conserve a damn thing, conservation means wise use, he;s gonna lock it up like Rockafeller did. You STILL can't use the land on the other side of the Hudson, no climbing, restricted access and uses... Chinese fellow is the same-same, hes gonna make that his gD imperial palace in the Forbidden City. You can kiss that place goodbye.

But he can't take it with him back to China, it stays here, and if nobody but him gets to use it, well, we sold those rights to him. If he destroys it, it'll be a shame, but Americans don't make laws about those kinds of things, who can buy what is law in other nations, but not here. He has the right to take everything from US that we will sell.

But what is gonna happen? He will eventually move him and his family here, and they will want to shut the door on new immigration, mark my words. This is just a better place to live than China is overall, and that will not change over the next 100 years. We are less populated, cleaner and less developed overall, and that doesn't even touch what ALASKA is gonna be to us in the future. He will become an American, and even if he never really makes it, his kids will, or their kids. The Japanese Nationals who came here were always different, but the second generation after them are Americans. No way around it.

Population trends, combined with the modern reality of easy travel, rising possibilities and genetics suggest that the long term trends for completely natural blondes is bleak, Blond is a recessive gene, easily shed from a genetic lineage. You may be able to buy it for your kids during planning, but there is no way to save the natural variant naturally, you cannot isolate the population any longer. Doesn't matter, Uber genetics is almost here. We are approaching the Singularity.

It sucks if you want to use that land as a recreationist, but Exclusion is the historic norm. Remember Robin Hood? the Sherwood Forest was off limits, he was trespassing. Likely if you were using that land before he bought is, YOU were trespassing. Nothing has really changed.

Over the long run, we can assume that the only things that guy will bring here is his family and his Money, You can damn well bet he has a way to extract that from China or he WOULD never leave, but its got to be kind of cool to bring a few tens of Billions of assets back to America... that money WILL get repatriated just as certainly as his family will be Americanized and want to build a wall across Mexico...

Genetic homogenization and genetic engineering, do they pull in the opposite direction, or are they a draft team, gonna plow us a new world... will humans all look like huge Black Chinese fellows or is the human race decide to chuck this crappy accidental kludge of a body for something faster, stronger, smarter and easier to feed and is damn near immortal?

I really can't imagine that Chinese fellow having much influence past 50 years, or all of China past 100 years. The future is too much in doubt, we can do ANYTHING with genetics in another 100 years, races are just not going to mean ANYTHING like what they do now. That is, IF they have ANY real application when your 22nd century geneticist has mapped out your genetic structure to a gnats ass 6 months before you are even conceived.