It tastes like chicken... except chicken!

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
MikeK

It tastes like chicken... except chicken!

Post by MikeK » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Chicken that tastes like fish. This is a new one for me, but it's a real thing. I couldn't eat it, thought for sure I would be poisoned as well...

Unfortunately for my adversaries, I didn't die or even get sick. Some quick reading on the interwebz provided some cases studies that chickens start to taste like fish when they feed them fish byproducts. Bleh!

So what's this all mean?

Not much really, but for me it's getting to be a final straw in trying to find meat that was raised properly and fed what the animals normally eat. Chickens taste the best when they eat grubs and worms, bugs, grasses and other stuff they can scratch up, because that's what they prefer if they are free. We all know this with cows - they are healthiest and taste the best when they eat grass.

Cheap, industrial, inhumane meat is everywhere. And I eat it - but this is too much. I don't think I can anymore!

I realize people that give up meat have all sorts of motives - kind of like quitting smoking. What's the thing that will finally push me over the cliff? I don't know, but I'm getting closer.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: It tastes like chicken... except chicken!

Post by connyro » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:24 am

You live in a pretty agricultural area don't you Mike? Find a local grower and a chest freezer and get stocked with meat that you know where it came from. There's a scruffy dude outside of town here that I get a lamb and some pork from each year. I trade some of it for local beef, chickens and eggs with a buddy of mine. I end up having very high quality meat all year and it's actually less expensive than the store-bought industrial shit, but you need to have the time and some skills to process/store/cook it correctly...that or get yourself a little farm and do it yourself...or get yourself some hunting skills...or go vege/vegan...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Yeah, we try to do this at times. It would be better if we had a full size freezer. We have lots of local options for meat and veg.

Problem here was I live in a city, and when you go to a restaurant you don't always know what you get. This was actually Chinese take-out. I had food poisoning once from Chinese food and it was awful. This made me think - I'm not gonna eat that shit anymore. It's not always safe, it's no good for the animals, and it just plain tastes bad.

I usually avoid this type of food like the plague, but I watched a documentary on Chinese food and it made me crave it again. Now I remember why I hate it and stopped eating it.

Still when I go to bars or other places it's hard to know where that food is coming from. It's getting better, and I should just eat at home or bring my own food when I'm on the road, but it's hard to turn down a delicious chicken wing with a glass of your favorite beer...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:47 am

What have I become?!?

[video][/video]

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue May 03, 2016 12:27 pm

Not quite a year, but I've been religious about cutting out hate meat from my diet. If I don't know where it comes from, I won't eat it. I've extended this to most animal products like eggs and cheese (dairy).

I've slipped up a couple times and eaten something from a restaurant that used commercial food sources, but I can count this on one hand.

So yay for me... who cares?

Two big things happen when you do this:

The obvious is you eat food that is perhaps raised more humanely, and is fed what it is supposed to eat, so therefore is perhaps a bit healthier for you anyway.

The less obvious thing is that you just eat way less animal product. If you seriously cut out all the easy sources for meat and dairy, you automatically eat less of it. If you pay a little more for your meat and dairy, you eat less of it. If you pay more for it and it is harder to get, you are likely prepare it better and not just shove it down your gullet like a fast-food burger.

The couple times I've eaten commercial meat or eggs again, I've noticed one big thing. It has no taste to me anymore or it tastes odd and unappetizing. Either way, it doesn't make me want to go back.

The real reason I'm re-posting here again is I had a physical recently and compared my blood work from the year past. I wasn't in terrible health before (for an average American) and heart disease is near non-existent in any of my family history (both are mostly long lines of Germans subsiding mainly on carbs and fat - beer, bread and pork). So anyway I don't put a lot of faith in the bloodwork numbers but my triglycerides, cholesterol and blood sugar were all lower (significantly) than the previous year. My weight at the time of each test was nearly the same, but according to science, I am healthier.

It really does work. But it takes a lot of work. It drives my wife crazy and she cheats a lot (and I give her shit every time).

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but it is totally doable these days, and the closer you scrutinize what you eat, the less processed food you eat as well (no joke). And I think just the benefit of cutting out fast food and (most) restaurant food has a huge impact.