Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Ingstad BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Cannatonic

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Ingstad BC

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 pm

sounds cool, do you have simple 3-pin bindings on them or cables? What length did you buy???
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 pm

I finally took a decision and bought of the last pair, if not the last, of Ingstad at La Cordée. :D Despite the advice I got from many users I bought the 195 and I wish I won't regret it. :roll: But I thought about it so much and come a moment where you have to dare to take a decision. My guts tells me that I will be just fine with the 195. I seldom have time for very long ride so I am ready to trade some glide for better maneuverability and easier turning. Not to forget, my skiing partners all have wider and shorter skis so it's not like they're flying off the snow...

Now the serious stuff... Before I drill the skis I want to compare with the users on this forum. I found the Balance Point to be aligned with the R of Norway. Does that make sense with your own experience? I would appreciate if you could share photos of mounted Ingstad.

Thank's in advance for your kind help. I can't wait to try them around and especially downhill. Also we do have very deep snow now (photo) so I will see if the Ingstad live up to their reputation
57215410278__75AB3C00-B829-4168-861B-0C296552FE77.jpeg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Martin,

BP is BP. Do not bother with the decal, those are not necessarily aligned in the manufacturing process. By the way, I just had to redrill my bindings 1.5 cm forward of the previous mount with was on BP. I can't feel a difference, Enjoy the Ingstads!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:49 am

Was out on another grueling hillcountry tour on the Ingstad on Saturday.
Very deep, wet, difficult snow- it was warm- steep challenging terrain.
I love this ski.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:07 pm

My Honeymoon with the Ingstad :D

Came back late last night from my trip to MEC in Laval to get my bindings transferred from my Alpina's to my Ingstad. I resisted the urge to try them and did the LilCliffy procedure with Polar wax. It was finally around 23:00 when I first tried them on... Wow! Love at first glance :!:

My first outing with these skis was like the first time I first rode a high quality bicycle I bought in 1989. I remember how efficiently my energy was transferred and how faster I could go with better equipment. It is how it felt with the Ingstad, it was like every kick was more efficient, I had even better glide under the prevalent conditions than my E99-210. It just felt right!

might sound crazy and a bit lunatic but I am confident that the users of this Forum must have felt the same way before 8-)

And is there a better setting than a full moon to fall in love :?:
IMG_3359.jpg
IMG_3343.jpg

Buda

Post by Buda » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:24 am

Cannatonic wrote:sounds cool, do you have simple 3-pin bindings on them or cables? What length did you buy???
no cables. Rottefella Super Telemark
Nitram Torcut wrote:My first outing with these skis ...
Congrats!

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:16 pm

I have now put some very serious miles and terrain on this ski-

I can confirm that it is simply amazing in truly very deep soft snow. It is stable and supportive. It not only inspires confidence and assertive skiing but its perfectly tuned camber and flex allow me to absolutely crush miles on sweet snow and hilly terrain.

On moderately-steep terrain the downhill performance of this ski is the stuff of dreams. I can just ride them in smooth arcs or pounce on them and force them to carve!!

And on steep terrain I can make them do whatever I want- they are so light and responsive!

They do kinda suck when XC skiing on consolidated snow- but, that is not what I have them for!

You know...The tip of this ski is so stable in deep soft snow that it might even be a better deep snow XC ski than my beloved Combat Nato...It is certainly as good- and vastly superior to the Combat Nato in the turning dimension...

My Combat Nato is starting to become a loaner ski...

Simpa

Post by Simpa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:00 am

I bought these skis as my first pair after renting a pair of Amundsen. I wanted a more deep-snow capable and downhill oriented all-around ski and I just fell in love with these. So far I had a blast with them :)

I have a question.. Are you guys usibg grip wax with these? Or are you just usubg X-skins? As of now I only have skins and glide wax.
I'm really unexperienced and unknowing about the strange world of wax, so I'm kind of clueless here.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:39 pm

I prefer to use wax whenever possible over the skin.I have the nylon one and it feels like my skis are slow with them. I don't use glide wax but instead I use Polar wax like Lilcliffy do.

I only used the skin for long uphill and I will probably use them when the conditions make waxing too big challenge.

Enjoy your Ingstad, such great skis!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:55 am

Simpa wrote:I bought these skis as my first pair after renting a pair of Amundsen. I wanted a more deep-snow capable and downhill oriented all-around ski and I just fell in love with these. So far I had a blast with them :)

I have a question.. Are you guys usibg grip wax with these? Or are you just usubg X-skins? As of now I only have skins and glide wax.
I'm really unexperienced and unknowing about the strange world of wax, so I'm kind of clueless here.
Welcome Simpa!

I grip wax the entire base on this ski- hard kick wax underfoot when the snow is cold.
Discussions on grip-kick waxing can be found here on the forum:
viewforum.php?f=21

I would advise removing kick wax that is softer than Swix Blue before using a skin- a soft kick wax could stick to the skin adhesive...

I am at the point where I am not using glide wax on any of my backcountry Nordic skis.
Great to have you join us and please tell us more about your skiing experiences!
Perhaps start a thread on the main forum at some point and tell us your skiing story!
Gareth