Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Ingstad BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
spopepro

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Ingstad BC

Post by spopepro » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:15 am

I think this is the ski I need. I’m starting to get into really long days (50-60km) and deep multi day traverses. My objectives are a ton of fun, but I think not efficient enough over that kind of distance. My one worry is how to try and find out just how steep I can ski something this cambered. Some of the trips I’m looking at will involve sections of 35-45deg slopes. I feel like I have to work the objectives in those conditions (and sometimes fail... I did a skimo race in t2eco boots, no cables, on my objectives... I was at the tail end of the Lycra crowd going up, crashing out of control on the way down). But with so many of these skis it’s hard to give them a trial. I really appreciate folks detailed descriptions of their experiences. I think we might have varied ideas of “steep”.

Fwiw... I’ll probably mount them with AT bindings. Yeah, I know... hand in my tele card. I’m just done waiting for the magical 1kg scarpa tele tech boot and need something light, stiff when locked up, and will take an automatic crampon.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:32 am

spopepro wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:15 am
I think this is the ski I need. I’m starting to get into really long days (50-60km) and deep multi day traverses. My objectives are a ton of fun, but I think not efficient enough over that kind of distance. My one worry is how to try and find out just how steep I can ski something this cambered. Some of the trips I’m looking at will involve sections of 35-45deg slopes. I feel like I have to work the objectives in those conditions (and sometimes fail... I did a skimo race in t2eco boots, no cables, on my objectives... I was at the tail end of the Lycra crowd going up, crashing out of control on the way down). But with so many of these skis it’s hard to give them a trial. I really appreciate folks detailed descriptions of their experiences. I think we might have varied ideas of “steep”.

Fwiw... I’ll probably mount them with AT bindings. Yeah, I know... hand in my tele card. I’m just done waiting for the magical 1kg scarpa tele tech boot and need something light, stiff when locked up, and will take an automatic crampon.
You doing 50-60 clicks in a day on the objectives albeit crashing out of control on the way down? That's impressive!
From what you describe (including going full AT), I'd stick with something more alpine oriented, just like yours OBJs.
Maybe all that's missing is a pair of Lycra pants?

If you end up going with the Ingstad+AT boots though, I'd be more than happy to year how your combi worked out for you!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:58 am

Oh no... I can do that distance now on the flats with my MR48s... but I’m not confident I can do that with the objectives. But maybe I really should be looking for an alpine ski for safety on the steeps. I’d really, really like something that felt like it was ready to crush miles like a real xc ski tho. I might be asking too much.