NTN: Rottefella Freeride versus 22 Designs Outlaw Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
LoveJohnny

Re: NTN: Rottefella Freeride versus 22 Designs Outlaw Review

Postby LoveJohnny » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:39 pm

So last week I broke both slickpins on the Outlaws... And I lost them while skiing, I almost lost the flexing plates too. This part definitely needs to be redesigned. It's way too weak for any serious skiing. I had to fix it temporarily with a 4" nail bent at one end... The repair looks very punky... 22Designs gladly sent me replacement parts, but did not comment on the issue.

In the meantime, I was back to my good old Rotte Freerides for the last few days. Wow...! Gee I love the Freerides! It's a totally different experience than the Outlaws, I almost forgot how they skied. The flex is completely different. And I have to say that while I really enjoyed the feeling of the Outlaws since the beginning of the season, going back to the Freerides was a wonderful thing. (If only they wouldn't break so easily...)

The Outlaw is active from the very start, as soon as your raise the heel even just a bit. It's very smooth, but also very active. Stiffer than the Freerides I think, even if I ride all my Freerides on red tubes at 4. I would say the flex is smooth and constant. The Freeride, on the other hand, let you raise your heel very easily to initiate the turn. I find turn initiation MUCH easier on the Freeride. And activeness kicks in just when you need it, when your heel becomes engaged in the turn. Wow, I never really realized this prior to skiing the Outlaw. I would say the flex on the Freeride is progressive and adaptive.

Also, I find the lack of an adjustment plate on the Outlaw to be quite a retarded thing. Hey, it's 2017, even XC skis now have adjustable plates. Nobody can perfectly guess the best mounting point for a certain ski. A plate that can fine-tune the exact position on the binding like on the Freeride is A MUST.

All in all, they both have pros and cons, but I think my personal preference goes to the Freeride.
Ahem, I mean, the indestructible Bri7ized version of the Freerides...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"Your heel (and mind) is not really free until you cut the cable..." -Me

NTN Mike

Re: NTN: Rottefella Freeride versus 22 Designs Outlaw Review

Postby NTN Mike » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:58 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:Hey, don't forget the Outlaws come from the folks that brought us the Hammerhead, the Vice and the Axl...

Even though they both are sold as releasable, and release is physically possible, I consider them non-releasable, especially if you like them very active...

The Hammerhead was brought to us by Russell Rainy. It used that sweet under foot cable design brought to us by Mike Miller ("cable Trak" https://www.google.com/patents/US5669622). BD's Pitbull, and skyhoy were failed attempts to utilize the concept. The vice and axl are wonderful bindings developed by 22D on the foundation these two folks created.

I have been on NTN since 06. Skied and owned every version of the freeride since then. Own freerides as well as outlaws. Ever since day 1, the bindings have released for me. I ski aggressively and enjoy a highly active binding, hence my bindings are set between 4 and 5 with red power tubes, blue power blocks, and the stiff spring on the outlaw. blah blah blah - bottom line is that they do release, and not just in a catastrophic sense.

stormpeakco wrote:IF $ wasn't in the calculations, having a set of Outlaws on THE favorite pair of tele skis (say on a pair DPS tour 106s)....

maybe the 106 will hold up better than the 99...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BByTsfuqFhS/?taken-by=tele_madi

The Freeride is the most durable binding now. The freedom is a close 2nd and the Outlaw is 3rd. The brakes on the outlaw need to be re-designed as they look and perform like the original freeride brakes (shitasticly) and make it very hard to step in. I'm looking forward to replacing my current outlaws with the X version. The improved step in will be greatly appreciated...

Return to “Community Ski Reviews”